Pestered By Families

Set in AU

Castiel Novak and Dean Winchester have been dating for three years. They've been sharing an apartment for nearly a year now, and things couldn't be better between the two.

There was just one small issue.

Neither of their families knew they were dating.

Cas's family was very religious, and most of his siblings and his mother are homophobic, so he preferred to keep his love life out of the conversation at all times, content to stay in the closet.

Dean's family knew he was gay and didn't care, but they were a bit overeager. Basically, that meant that every time Dean's mother heard about another gay man, she insisted on trying to get Dean and the man together, no matter who it was. It was a little gross, in Dean's opinion. 

Unfortunately, since both families assumed that the boys didn't have a significant other, they insisted that their sons come home for Thanksgiving. 

Thanksgiving. The family meal.

The holiday everyone dreads because they have to talk to their relatives.

Sighing, Dean and Cas agreed to go spend the day at their respective homes, and then have a Thanksgiving of their own after they came home.

But Thanksgiving is always a trying holiday, especially when your family hates the fact that you're single.

*****

"So, Castiel," Cas's mother began slyly. "Have you met any interesting women lately?" Cas fought back a sigh.

"Nope," He forced a smile. His mother pouted.

"Have you even spoken to a woman?" Cas rolled his eyes.

"Plenty of my friends are girls, Mother,"

"That's not what I mean. You're 24, Castiel, it's time you found a nice girl and thought about settling down."

"Well maybe that's not what I want to do." Cas mumbled. 

"Maybe Hannah could fix you up with one of her friends!" His mother suggested. Cas's sister crinkled her nose in disgust.

"I doubt any of my friends would be interested." Hannah admitted. Their mother swatted at her.

"There are plenty of ladies at my hairdresser's with daughters around your age, maybe I could set you up with one of them!"

"I don't want to be set up with anybody." Cas insisted. "Can't I just find somebody on my own?"

"Isn't that what you've been doing so far?" His mother questioned.

"Yes."

"Well clearly, it isn't working. Now it's my turn." Cas covered his face with his hands. It was going to be a long night.

*****

Dean's dinner wasn't going much better. His brother Sam had gotten engaged to his girlfriend, Jess, a few weeks earlier, and both of them had shown up to Thanksgiving, Jess's ring shining and only making the fact that Dean sat alone at the dinner table even more obvious.

"So, Dean," Mary smiled. "Are you seeing anyone?"

"Can we not talk about my love life?" He pleaded.

"Oh come on, Dean, surely there's at least one guy you're interested in." John pressed.

"Food's good. You should eat more of it." Dean suggested.