Breakfast Recipe For Disaster

Set in AU where Dean and Cas have a five year old daughter named Hadley, Cas is human, but they still live the hunting life

"Are you sure you two will be okay here on your own?" Dean questioned. He didn't deny that he was nervous about leaving Cas alone with a five-year old. Cas himself could be a giant five-year old at times. But he and Sam had a case to take care of, and Hadley was far too young to be brought along on a case.

"We'll be fine Dean." Castiel insisted. "Don't worry."

"Yeah Dean." Hadley agreed. "I'll take care of Cassie for you." Cas frowned. Dean smiled at the little girl.

"Alright. But you guys call me if you need anything, okay? If there's a problem or you have a question-"

"We got it." Cas declared. "Go on. The sooner you leave, the sooner you'll be back."

"They'll be okay." Sam agreed. "Come on Dean." The hunter hesitated a moment before giving in.

"Fine. We'll be back in a couple weeks." He hugged Hadley goodbye and gave Cas a quick kiss before heading towards the door.

"No wild parties while we're gone!" Sam teased, shutting the door behind him.

"No promises!" Hadley called.

*~*~*~*

The next day, Castiel and Hadley discovered their first problem.

Breakfast.

The two of them stood in the kitchen, staring at the appliances. Dean always made breakfast. It never had occurred to either one of them to learn how to make it themselves.

"So...." Cas began. "Do you know how to cook anything?" Hadley raised an eyebrow and stared up at her guardian.

"Cassie, I'm five." she explained. "The only thing I can make is cereal."

"Well, let's see if we have any of that." Cas checked the cabinets, to no avail. Hadley frowned.

"Come on Cas. We've seen Dean make food enough times. Surely we can figure this out."

"...Dean always did say that cooking was about experimenting..."

"Then let's try! I'll cook up some eggs, and you can make some toast!" Castiel grinned down at the little girl.

"Okay. Let's try it."

******

Meanwhile, in a diner in Wisconsin, Sam and Dean sat down for a breakfast of their own. A meal that was quickly interrupted by the ringing of Dean's cell. He glanced down at the caller ID and picked up.

"Hey Cas," he greeted his husband. Sam watched on, curious to what the ex-angel had done already.

"Hello Dean," Cas replied, as he stared at the toaster in confusion. "I have a question."

"Shoot."

"How do you work the toaster?"

Dean sighed.

"Well, you put some bread in it,"

"I did that."

"And then you set the timer. Just turn it past the halfway point and then watch the bread. When it's cooked enough for your liking, turn off the timer, WAIT for the toaster to cool off, and then take out the bread."

Sam grinned, bemused as Dean explained.

"Okay. I think it's working."

"So you're attempting to make breakfast?"