In Honor of Lebanon

A/N: That moment when you realize that Supernatural's 300th episode, Lebanon, the one where John comes back to life, airs on Valentine's Day.

It was Valentine's Day.

The day where everyone was supposed to stop and be with the person they loved most.

Except that not everyone could be.

It was a strange holiday in the Winchester's world. Dean had announced that it was Unattached Drifter Christmas, and yet he had taken one look at Cas and hadn't gone out to look for a girl all day.

Sam had eaten breakfast, checked the date, and then promptly went back and locked himself in his room. Dean said it was best to leave him be.

Jack didn't see the significance of the holiday, and had taken to binge reading Harry Potter because Sam and Cas said he needed to read it.

And Mary had slipped out of the bunker by herself and gone for a drive.

Valentine's Day used to be her favorite holiday, but it wasn't the same now. 

Not without John.

Before she knew it, she was in Lawrence, paused outside the old house. 

It wasn't fair in Mary's eyes, even thought she knew it was her own fault. It wasn't fair that John had had to grieve for her, and that he had taken the horrible turn into the hunting life that he had. It wasn't fair that Sam and Dean had been through so much. It wasn't fair that nearly everyone they cared about was dead, that Dean was too afraid to be with the person he loved, that Sam didn't bother trying to love anymore because everyone he loved only got hurt. 

It wasn't fair that Mary was alive, and the rest of her family wasn't.

Sure, Sam and Dean were alive, but it wasn't the same. She remembered them, how they were when they were innocent. Back when they were children. They couldn't remember how peaceful that had been, when the only problem anyone had faced was a fight between Mary and John. The boys that Mary had known, the family that she had loved, was dead. They were gone, battle hardened, replaced with a set of soldiers that were more comfortable with pain then they were with love.

Mary ended up in the cemetery, because it seemed right to be there. If the rest of your family was dead, why not visit your own grave?

She got out of the car, and headed for the spot.

Sam and Dean had taken her once. She had asked where John was buried, and they had exchanged a glance and admitted that they had buried him next to her. It was strange to see your own grave, but Mary could handle it.

Her own tombstone marked the death of her whole family, she thought. The day Azazel destroyed them all.

But as Mary approached her own grave, she spotted someone else.

A tall man, with a graying beard and the posture of a soldier.

A man who looked like the world had beaten him down.

A man that Mary recognized all too well.

His face was unreadable as he spotted her, and the two simply stared.

"Mary?" He finally whispered, unsure.

"John." She whispered back.

*****

It was Valentine's Day, dammit, and Dean was not going to let the easiest day of the year to get a date go by without him getting so much as a kiss.

But he just couldn't bring himself to go and pick up some chick at a bar. It wasn't what he wanted. 

He wanted a kiss from the socially awkward puppy-eyed angel who was watching cartoons with a smile and chuck-freaking dammit he was too adorable for this.