Pen Pals

Dean Winchester was in third grade when it all began.

His dad moved them around a lot, so Dean never stayed at any school long enough to really make friends or really learn anything. But if he went to school at all, it probably meant that they would be staying in the same place for at least a month. 

Dean was glad for that. He didn't care about school at all, but he wanted Sammy to. Sam was only in kindergarten, and yet, he was already smarter than Dean. Dean could only read because John had enforced it, and he had to know what his dad left on notes before he left Dean and Sam alone in some motel room.

Currently, Dean was in some cheap school in Maine, and the teacher was smiling at him.

"You've come on a very good day, Dean." She insisted. "For we are about to begin our most exciting project of the year." The other students perked up, but Dean didn't really care. He'd probably be halfway across the country before the due date hit.

"We're going to have pen pals with a school in Oregon." Now Dean perked up, paying attention. Pen pals? That was just writing letters- that was something he could do from anywhere! Sure, it be impossible for anyone to write back, but who cared?

The teacher went on to explain the project, and she let everyone pick out a name of a student in the California class for them to write to.

Dean was up last, seeing as they went in alphabetical order by last name, and he frowned at the name he'd been given.

Who would name their kid Castiel Shurley?

*****

Castiel Shurley was a third grader in Oregon, and he loved school. He didn't have a mother, but his father, brothers and sisters took good care of him, and he was ecstatic when his teacher announced that they'd be getting pen pals from Maine.

Apparently, the class in Maine had picked out their names, and Castiel's teacher went around, handing everyone a piece of paper with their pen pal's name and address on it, so they could write their first letter. Castiel smiled at the page he was given.

Dean Winchester. What a fascinating name.

******

Dear Castiel, Dean began that night, sitting in the motel room table while John and Sam slept in the next room. What was he even supposed to say? He knew nothing about Castiel.

....But maybe that was a good thing.

Castiel was all the way across the country. Dean was sure they'd never meet.

Why couldn't he tell Castiel everything he'd ever wanted to say?

Castiel- how do you pronounce your name? He began. I'm Dean. I'm eight years old, and I don't have a home, so it's going to be hard for your letters to find me. I used to have a home- it was in Lawrence, Kansas, but then there was a fire, and my mom died. My dad took me and my brother away after that, and we haven't been back to Kansas since. Now we just travel all over the country, because my dad hunts monsters, and he has to find them in order to kill them. I'm not sure why I'm telling you this, except that I don't think anyone else will listen. I hope you'll listen, Castiel. I'd like to have a friend I could talk to. Actually, I'd just like to have a friend. But we can't be friends if I don't know anything about you! What's your family like? What's Oregon like- I've been to Washington, but not Oregon. Do you like cars? I like cars. And pie. Especially cherry pie.

I don't know what else to say.

-Dean Winchester

****