Anniversary

Set in AU

Cas and Dean Winchester couldn't have been happier. They had jobs they liked (Cas was a fourth grade teacher, and Dean was a mechanic), they lived in a nice house, and they had been happily married for two years.

Two years exactly, as of September 18th.

But somehow, they managed to forget that fact.

It was a Friday, so Cas woke up super early in order to get to his job on time. 

"Nooooo," Dean whined as Cas untangled himself from his husband's hold. Cas smiled.

"I have to go to work," He explained, leaning over and kissing Dean's cheek.

"Screw work, you're comfy." Dean retorted. Cas laughed.

"I'll see you later, and then we can cuddle all you want."

"I hate cuddling."

"Oh yeah, and I'm straight."

"Straight as a pride flag."

"Exactly." Dean sighed and let Cas go, not before snagging another kiss or two first, of course. Cas drove to school and got ready for his class, just like any old day.

Until around noon, it was a normal day, nothing special about it.

"Mr. Novak!" Charlie's hand shot in the air.

"Yes, Charlie?" Cas asked.

"You forgot to change the date on the board!" Cas looked over at the whiteboard and sure enough, she was right. So he walked over and changed the date to Friday, September 18-

"FUCK." Cas swore suddenly, staring wide eyed at the date.

His students gasped. Bad words were forbidden in class, and even without that rule, Cas never swore. Cas whirled around to face them, realizing his mistake, and his students stared back, an equal amount of fear on all of their faces.

"It's my anniversary." He explained. "I forgot." He had COMPLETELY forgotten- how could he have been so stupid?! He didn't have anything for Dean- not even so much as a crummy bouquet of flowers.

"Oh no!" Charlie shrieked, like this was a major crime.

"Anybody got an idea as to what I can buy my husband on the way home?" He asked randomly. Yes, his students knew that he was married to another man. Nobody cared though. If they could put up with wacky Garth in kindergarten, then a gay fourth grade teacher was nothing.

"Flowers!" Anna declared.

"CHOCOLATE!" Gabriel screeched.

"Jewelry! That's what my Dad always gets for my mom!" Benny insisted.

"A knife!" Meg called out. "Guys like knives!"

"A BIG BOAT WITH YOUR SHIP NAME ON IT SO YOU CAN TELL HIM YOU'RE CANON!" Charlie screamed.

"Sex!" another kid called out. The class turned to look at him, and he shrugged. "That's what my dad says he wants on his anniversary."

"Well....those are all nice ideas," Cas insisted. But when would have time to buy them? Dean knew when school let out, and Cas was a very punctual person. If he showed up late, Dean would know he probably forgot and ran out to get a last minute gift, and that wouldn't end well. What was he supposed to do?

"I know!" Charlie proclaimed. "We could make him a gift!" 

"Like what?" Jo questioned.

"I know how to make a paper flower- we could make him a bouquet!" They all looked at Cas, who slowly started to grin. A paper flower bouquet, made by his students? That would make it look like he put thought and planning into his gift, and then he wouldn't be late, and Dean would never know he forgot.