I'll Drive

A/N: Not Destiel. Just a one shot.

Sam Winchester ran away to go to Stanford. He left his family for school, and didn't look back. And John and Dean just let him go.

Now that doesn't sound like the Dean Winchester I know.

I have a better idea of what happened.

*****

Sam angrily stuffed his clothes in a bag, still fuming from the fight he had just finished with John Winchester. John, who was furious at his son for wanting to leave the hunting life. Furious with him for wanting a better life then this.

It had been a nasty fight between the family, and Dean hadn't said much. Sure, he had screamed at both of them well enough. Yelled at John to leave Sam alone, that it was his life and he could do what he wanted. Yelled at Sam for insulting their father and wanting to leave their family behind.

And at the end of it, Sam had stormed upstairs to pack his bags, leaving John fuming and still yelling downstairs. 

"Hey," Dean's familiar voice murmured.

"Don't bother trying to change my mind," Sam warned. He was going to Stanford. He didn't care what anyone had to say about it.

"I'm not going to." Dean insisted. Zipping his bag shut, Sam turned to face his brother, pausing at his expression.

Dean looked so conflicted. Sam could read his brother like a book, but this was a hard page to understand. Dean looked near tears, yet he looked at Sam with such a gleam of pride and sadness. And yet there was still an element of fear, of uncertainty, worry, and yet a little bit of happiness too.

"You wanna go to school?" Dean asked. "Is that really what you want?"

"Yes." Sam confirmed, looking determined.

"Alright." He agreed. He cleared his throat, shuffling his feet, and glanced at his little brother. "California's a bit of a drive from here."

"I know. I don't care."

"Okay, well," Dean shrugged. "I'll drive." 

Sam blinked in surprise, and the two boys stared at each other. They didn't say another word to each other as they walked out of the house and headed for the Impala.

"Where do you think you're going?" John demanded.

"Be back in a few days," Dean replied. "Try not to do anything stupid."  They climbed into the car, and were halfway down the road before John stepped off the porch of the house.

John didn't even bother following them though.

******

"Why are you doing this?" Sam asked, hours later.

"Doing what?" Dean questioned.

"Driving."

"How else are you gonna get to school?" Sam sighed.

"You know what I mean, Dean. Dad's going to kill you for this- why are you even bothering to take me?" Dean glanced over at him.

"Do you really think I'm gonna let my little brother go off to college without a goodbye?"

"No, but-"

"And somebody's gotta make sure you get settled in and you have everything you need, right?" Dean frowned. "That's how college works right?" Sam smiled slightly.

"Yeah, Dean. That's how college works."

*****

It was the first road trip with just Sam and Dean. No one else.  

It was better then their trips with John, in Sam's opinion. Dean was more relaxed behind the wheel of the car, and he sang along to music and the two of them just talked. Debated everything under the sun, stopped occasionally for food and sleep. 

They didn't talk about Sam leaving. They didn't talk about when they'd see each other again, if ever, depending on what happened. They just drove.

"C'mon, Sammy, I know you know this song," Dean declared.

"Yeah, I just don't sing." Sam commented.

"Try it." 

"No."

"Come on," Dean teased. "Greatest man of all time right here, Sammy- sing along!" Dean started singing along, and Sam gave in, laughing, because why not?

"Workin' on our night moves," They sang loudly, their voices off-key, but neither one cared. "Trying to lose the awkward teenage blues

Workin' on out night moves

In the summertime

And oh the wonder

Felt the lightning

And we waited on the thunder

Waited on the thunder!"

*****

The old song stayed in the back of Sam's mind as they finally arrived at Stanford.

Sam got everything figured out, and Dean parked the Impala outside of his dorm. Sam grabbed his bags from the trunk, and then both brothers were standing across each other, nothing left to do.

"You got all your stuff?" Dean asked.

"Yep." Sam insisted. They just stood there, neither of them really wanting to leave.

"You study hard, alright?" Dean declared. "Have some fun, find a girl or two." Sam smiled.

"Maybe," He offered. Dean's grin slowly wavered.

"You take care of yourself, Sammy."

"I will."

"I know you will." Dean smirked. "Hell, you take care of yourself better then I ever could."

"Who do you think I learned it from?" Sam questioned. Dean's smirk grew.

"Well, I'm sure you've probably got a lot to do today." Dean admitted. "Don't want to hold you up."

"Yeah," Sam's smiled faded. Dean hesitated, and they he stepped forward.

"Come here," He insisted, pulling his brother in and hugging him tightly. Sam hugged him back just as tightly.

"You keep in touch, you here?" Dean proclaimed, his voice wavering slightly. 

"I will."

"Don't do anything I'd do." Sam laughed, and they pulled back. 

"Well, uh, guess this is it." 

"Yeah, guess so." Dean forced a smile and clapped his brother on the shoulder. "You're gonna do great, Sammy."

"I know." Sam forced a smiled back. "It feels weird; saying goodbye."

"Then don't say it."

"In that case..... See you," Sam offered. 

"See you," Dean replied. Sam picked up his bag, and Dean climbed into the Impala.

"Hey Dean?" Sam started.

"Yeah?" 

"Take care of yourself," Dean grinned.

"Sure thing," He  replied. "Bitch." Sam smiled.

"Jerk."