Shot

*feels warning*

Cas, Sam, and Dean, as usual, were hunting. 

It was demons this time. They'd been tracking one, only to find an entire warehouse full. 

The three had split up to cover more ground, but Dean and Cas had met in the middle, where most of the demons had ended up. 

They fought their way through, stabbing and shooting and exorcising the demons, killing all that they could.

There were only a few left when Dean spotted it. There was a demon across the room from him, loading a revolver with familiar looking bullets. Bullets that terrified Dean as he spotted the demon's target.

But then the gun was loaded, and cocked, and being pointed at Cas. The angel thought nothing of it, if he even saw the gun. Castiel, being an angel, assumed that the bullets in the gun wouldn't hurt him.

But these, Dean knew, were angel killing bullets. Crowley had shown them to him, and he knew that demons had them.

Dean only had time to make one move. He could lunge for the demon, and hope that he took him out before a shot was fired, but the distance was too far. He'd see Dean coming and fire anyways.

That left Dean with one option, and being the selfless human he was, he didn't think twice before bolting towards the angel.

Cas turned after stabbing his last demon, so he had the perfect view of the scene before him- a scene that seemed to play in slow motion as it unfolded before him.

The demon fired the gun, a single, shining bullet gleamed in the air, heading straight for Cas's heart. 

Dean got to the angel right before, shielding Castiel from the shot.

The bullet slammed into Dean's chest, and the hunter crumpled to the ground, blood already gushing from the wound. 

The sound of the gun rang out in Cas's ears, echoed by the one word Dean had yelled just before the bullet ripped into him.

"CAS!"

The angel screamed- screamed, with his real voice, not caring who went deaf because of it. The demon was dead in an instant, and then Cas was there, clutching Dean to him, trying to put pressure on the wound- trying to heal him, but he couldn't. He couldn't, no matter how hard he tried.

"Dean." He pleaded as the hunter went pale. "Dean! Dean, stay with me, please! You idiot, why did you DO that? Bullets don't-" He stopped, starting to panic.

Weakly, Dean grabbed ahold of Cas's shirt, staining it red with blood.

"Aaa-Angel killing bullets." He explained faintly. Cas just stared at him.

"you took a bullet for me." He whispered. Dean nodded, wincing with pain.

"You're....you're family, Cas..." He muttered, gasping. "I....I love you.."

Cas sobbed, and started to full on bawl. He knew what would happen when Dean died. Billie had sworn it. He'd be taken to the empty, and Cas, and nobody else, would be able to bring him back from there.

"I love you too." He insisted. The hunter tried to smile at him, but failed from the start. Cas held him tight, crying silently. "Dean, please. Please don't. Don't you die on me. Don't you dare!"

"Better me then you..." Dean said softly, staring up at Cas. He just lay there, staring into Cas's blue eyes, until his own green pair went blank, and his body went limp and cold.

"Dean." Cas begged. "Dean! DEAN! DEAN WAKE UP! WAKE UP PLEASE! DEAN!

But Dean was gone.

Cas sobbed, clutching the Winchester to him. 

His cries must have echoed, because a moment later, Sam burst into the room, his gun drawn.

But he took one look at the heartbroken expression on Cas's face, and his brother's limp form and stopped, dropping the gun.

Cas was ever able to bring back the hunter, no matter how hard he tried. No matter who he reasoned with. No one ever even gave him an offer.

But Castiel never forget, either.

For the rest of his immortal life, Castiel, angel of the Lord, would be on heaven's side. He'd befriend other hunters, long after Sam Winchester's death at 90. He'd even come close to falling in love again, but not close enough.

Several people asked him why. Why did he love humanity more then his own brothers? And who was the man in the picture that Cas always kept in his trenchcoat?

Cas always gave the same answer.

"I choose humanity because I felt like I belonged there. I choose you all over the angels, every time, because there was a time when I didn't. A time when I questioned who I should be loyal to. And time and time again, my brothers left me to die, or tried to kill me themselves. But the humans I loved? My friends- my family? They never did that. The human I loved the most took a bullet for me, and died for it. He died for me. And I intent to return that favor, no matter how long it takes."