Hey Jude

*feels*

Sam, Dean, Cas, and Jack were in a bad situation. Cornered by Michael, surrounded by monsters, there was no escape for our favorite little family.

The four boys were currently locked in a broom closet, waiting for the monsters to break down the door. Waiting to go down swinging, die trying, because that's how it was always going to end.

"We're going to die today, aren't we?" Jack asked as they all sat on the floor, awaiting the inevitable.

"Yeah," Dean confirmed. "Yeah we are." There was no point in trying to sugarcoat it. They were all doomed. Sam wrapped an arm around Jack in an attempt to comfort the boy.

"I'm sorry," Cas apologized. 

"Don't be sorry, Cas, we did everything we could." Sam insisted. Dean nodded, sharing a knowing look with his brother.

"At least we're going out together this time," Dean commented. "Die trying like a family." Cas grabbed Dean's hand, holding it tightly, and Dean didn't bother pulling away. He shifted a little closer to the angel, the four of them watching the door, the sound of some monster banging on the other side, trying to claw his way in. Jack winced at the sound, like he couldn't bear to hear it.

And well, Dean didn't really want that to be the last noise he heard either, so we went with the first song to pop into his mind.

"Hey Jude, don't make it bad," He started to sing. "Take a sad song and make it better," Cas leaned into him, and Dean wrapped an arm around the angel. "Remember to let her into your heart, Then you can start to make it better."

"Hey Jude, don't be afraid," Sam piped up, singing along with his brother. "You were made to go out and get her. The minute you let her under your skin, Then you begin to make it better."

"And anytime you feel the pain, hey Jude, refrain," Cas joined in. "Don't carry the world upon your shoulders, For well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool. By making his world a little colder."

"Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah, Hey Jude, don't let me down, You have found her, now go and get her."

Memories of his mother singing the song filled Dean's head, but they were quickly replaced with ones of the family that sat before him. 

"Remember to let her into your heart, Then you can start to make it better..."

Memories of Cas, whether he was being awkward or just spending time with Dean, laughing, smiling, being happier with a couple of emotionally scarred humans then he was with the entirety of heaven.

"So let it out and let it in, hey Jude, begin,"

Memories of Jack, even though he hadn't been with them long enough. The time he'd spent with them, learning how to hunt and fish and flirt, playing games and laughing, having a happier childhood in two years then Sam and Dean had in their entire lives.

"You're waiting for someone to perform with, And don't you know that it's just you, hey Jude, you'll do."

Memories of Sam, always trying to make the best of their sad little hunting life, singing and laughing, always throwing out his chance for a normal life because at the end of the day, a normal life means nothing to him if Dean didn't have one too.

"The movement you need is on your shoulder, Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah yeah..."

A crack appeared in the door, the monster nearly upon them, and Cas, Sam, and Jack stopped, looking fearfully at the door. Dean held Cas a little closer, and reached over to grab his brother's shoulder, refusing to back down.

"Hey Jude, don't make it bad," He kept singing. "Take a sad song and make it better, Remember to let her under your skin, Then you'll begin to make it better..."

The door broke open.

And the Winchesters went down fighting, like they knew they would, the words of Hey Jude lingering in their minds.