Sabriel

Headcannons hurt sometimes...

Sam and Gabriel dated for years. 

Dean never knew.

He never knew that Sam fell in love with the archangel, and that Gabriel loved him back twice as much. The two would sneak out together every chance they got. Whenever Dean would run off with some girl while they were hunting, Sam would just call Gabriel, and they would run off on an adventure of their own.

Gabriel, being the Trickster archangel he was, loved to do things for Sam. He'd zap the Winchester to Paris, London, everywhere in the world that Sam wanted to go. Sometimes, it was just to somewhere as simple as a bookstore, where Sam would browse and read books that weren't about lore, for once. Gabe didn't care much for reading, but he was happy to sit back and watch Sam freak out over the pieces of paper. As long as Sam was happy, he was too.

Gabriel even created them their own little world, monster free. Whenever Sam wanted a vacation, or just a break from the hunting life, Gabriel would take him there, to their own little house in a supernatural free world.

It was Sam's favorite place.

Sure, it was just a small blue house, nothing special, but Sam loved it. He loved being able to wake up in a bed next to Gabriel, knowing that nothing was going to attack them, and  no one was going to judge their relationship. 

They'd spend weeks in that house, plying games, having prank wars with each other, watching movies- anything they could think of. There was a lot of kissing involved too, but this is Gabriel we're talking about. You can imagine the things he'd do with Sam and no consequences.

And whenever Sam felt good enough to return to the hunting life, Gabriel would zap him back, barely a minute passing between the time he'd left and returned.

It was the long hours spent with Gabriel, in that house, that kept Sam from getting hopeless and depressed over the hunting life. Time with Gabriel made him happy, and it gave him life light.

Dean didn't have that. That fact made Sam sad sometimes, because he knew that Cas would be willing to give Dean everything, if Dean weren't so stubborn, but there was nothing he could do, Sam knew. 

Dean had to work out his feelings for Cas for himself, the same way Sam had worked out his feelings for Gabriel.

Sam and Gabriel were happy together, happy as could be. But then Lucifer got involved, and Gabriel had died.

Or so Sam had thought.

Watching the archangel die was the worst thing Sam had ever experienced- even worse than Jess. Sure, Sam had loved Jess too, but Gabriel....

Gabriel meant so much more.

Sam stayed quiet as he and Dean drove away from the hotel where Gabe had died.

"You okay?" Dean finally asked, as his brother stared blankly out the window.

"Gabriel's dead." Sam admitted, the words themselves stabbing at his heart.

"I know." Dean replied. Dean wouldn't understand- Sam knew that. If Dean knew what Gabriel had meant to him, he might have understood, but not now. "But Sammy, think about everything he did to us. The dude was a general dick."

Sam thought about it. Oh, how he thought about it. He remembered the times that Gabriel had tricked them. He hated Tuesdays and Asia forever because of it. But those weren't the only memories of Gabriel that Sam had.