John Winchester

The bunker door creaked open, and Dean and Cas instantly looked up, only to spot a shocked looking Sam walk in.

"Find anything?" Dean asked. Sam had been chasing a lead in Colorado, but it was a stretch to begin with. Dean was sure that Gabriel was dead, but if Sam disagreed and thought he had a lead on the archangel, well, there was nothing stopping him.

"Yes and no," Sam admitted, still looking utterly astonished. Dean frowned at the look on his brother's face, and slowly stood up.

"Sammy?" 

"I didn't find anything on Gabriel," He began. "But....I found somebody else." The moose stepped aside, and Dean froze.

John Winchester stood in the doorway.

"Hey Dean." He offered, smiling. Castiel shot to his feet, staring at John.

"Dad?" Dean whispered, his eyes wide in disbelief. But as he walked down the stairs, there was no denying it.

John was back from the dead.

"How-"

"No idea." Sam explained. "He just....showed up."

"Well, it seems like you boys have done pretty good without me," John commented, taking in the bunker before settling his gaze on Dean. He stepped forward, like he was going to hug his son, but Cas jumped in front of Dean. The angel glared intensely at John, and let out a low sound that could only be described as a growl.

"Cas, relax." Dean offered. "It's-"

"John Winchester." Cas growled, glaring at the man like he was the most infuriating piece of scum in the entire universe.

"...Who is this?" John asked.

"This is Cas- Castiel." Dean explained. "He's an angel."

"But that's-"

"Impossible, yeah, not so much." Dean half smiled. "He's pretty great once you get to know him."

"Dean, I much as I respect you as a human being, I will NEVER so much as tolerate your father." 

"You don't even know me!" John exclaimed. Cas scoffed.

"Don't know you? I know EVERYTHING I need to know about YOU, John Winchester." Cas spat at him. "And I hate you."

"Cas!" Dean exclaimed, surprised. Sam's eyes widened. They had never heard the angel sound so angry before.

"Why?" John demanded. "I didn't even know angels existed- what could I POSSIBLY have done that offended you?"

Cas stepped forward, his eyes glittering dangerously as he spoke.

"I have watched your sons their entire lives." Cas began. "And when their mother died, it was your job to protect and care for them. That was your only job. And instead, I watched as you abandoned them, time and time again. I watched you abuse and break apart my favorite person in the universe, and leave him to tape himself back together again. You were supposed to CARE for your children, John Winchester, and all you did was hurt them. You had one job, and you failed it to the highest extreme." Cas clenched his fists. "You dared to hurt Dean. And for that, I hate you more then anyone else on this Earth."

Sam and Dean fell frozen, and John clenched his jaw.

"I never laid a hand on him." He insisted. The fury in Cas's face grew.

"May 17th, 1989. You slapped ten year old Dean Winchester across the face, the first of several abuses." Cas recited.

"That-"

"June 11th, 1989. You slapped him to the ground in a drunken rage and proceeded to kick him. Dean didn't make a sound despite your angry cries, because he was afraid of waking up his little brother, and the thought of Sam seeing you beat him hurt more then anything you could do."

"I-"

"March 8th, 1992. After having three years to get used to your abuses, you pulled a belt on your son for stealing two dollars out of your wallet so that his brother would have something other then ketchup to eat for dinner."

John paused, but Cas didn't, too furious to stop.

"April 23rd, 1994. Dean tells you, in confidence, that he is bisexual, because for some unknown reason he still values your opinion and wants your approval. Your response is to break his wrist. That wrist gets slit two months later out of Dean's own free will, and it's Bobby- NOT YOU, who talks him away from killing himself."

John's eyes widened slightly. He hadn't realized that.

"November 19th, 1995. You send Sam to Bobby's after picking up Dean from a state home, where he had been living after getting arrested for stealing bread and peanut butter. As soon as Sam is gone, you wail on your sixteen year old son, beating him senselessly for losing money in a poker game and for being stupid enough to get arrested. You leave him bleeding, unconscious in the dirt, for Bobby to find two hours later."

"July 15th, 1997. You spend two weeks putting your son through hell because Sam ran away, and Dean couldn't find him."

"That was justified." John insisted.

"Your son was in the hospital for a week because YOU put him there." Cas snapped back. "August 28th, 2001. Sam leaves you for Stanford, and you decide the best way to sort out those mixed emotions is to beat your son so violently that he gets thrown through a wall."

"July 19th, 2006. Your sorry ass dies, and gets sent straight to hell where you belong." Cas stops, shaking slightly with rage. "So don't you fucking tell me you never laid a hand on him- I'm the one who healed the scars you left, one by one, when I pulled him out of hell."

Sam looks like he's about to cry. 

John stares at the floor.

Dean, his eyes glassy, stares at Cas. 

Because it's not the assault of times his father has hurt him that stings at Dean. It's the fact that Cas KNOWS. That Cas remembers every single date his father dared to touch him, and that he hates him for it.

Dean never told Cas about the abuse. He never told anyone.

But Cas never even had to be told. He had already been watching.

Quiet tears are running down Sam's shocked face, but Dean will deal with those later. For once in Dean's life, he will deal with Sam second.

Dean steps forward shakily, and puts a hand on Cas's shoulder, steadying the angel and snapping him out of his enraged trance. John doesn't dare to lift his head from the ground.

Cas turns, watching Dean closely as the hunter shakes his head and hugs him.

"I'm sorry, Dean." The angel whispers. "I should've been able to stop him." Dean shakes his head firmly.

"Never." He tells his angel. "Never be sorry about this."

He cups Cas's face in his hands, in utter amazement. It's just hitting him now how much Cas truly cares for him- how much he's always cared for him.

How much he loves him.

So, sniffling, and with tears running down both of their faces, Dean kisses Cas.

It's the first time they've ever kissed. It's messy, and coated with tears and fading rage and grief, but it's perfect.

Because Dean and Cas finally admit through their tear coated kiss how much they truly care for one another.