Traveling Soldier Song Oneshot

*FEELS* Set in AU

Cas flipped through the channels on the radio, searching for a good song, when the bell above the dinner's door rang out, signalling that a customer had entered. Cas glanced up, stopping his radio search as his eyes landed on the newcomer. A young man, dressed in a camouflage green outfit walked in and sat down at one of the booths, staring down at the metal table. 

Cas exchanged a glance with the other waiter, silently asking if he could take the booth.

"The cute guy's all yours," Jo teased. Cas rolled his eyes, made sure his uniform was on right and that the bowtie around his neck was straight, and headed for the booth, a country song starting up in the background.

Two days past eighteen
He was waiting for the bus in his army green
Sat down in a booth in a cafe there
Gave his order to a girl with a bow in her hair
He's a little shy so she gives him a smile,
And he said, 

"Would you mind sittin' down for a while?" The stranger asked, "I'm uh.....feeling a little down." Cas's smiled widened.

And talking to me?
I'm feeling a little low."
She said, "I'm off in an hour and I know where we can go."

An hour later, Cas and the man headed down the street together.

"What's your name?" Cas asked.

"Dean." He replied.

"You seem a little young to be a soldier."

"I'm only eighteen." He explained. "I just enlisted."

"Why?" Dean went quiet for a moment, and then shrugged.

"I got nothing else to do." He offered. "My dad doesn't want me around, and my little brother's living with our aunt and uncle, trying to have a normal life, which I shouldn't interfere with. I got nowhere else to go, and I'm good at fighting. Might as well help someone instead of messing up more people's lives."

"I'm sure you don't mess people's lives up." Cas declared. "You seem perfectly nice to me." Dean half smiled. 

"You don't know the half of me, Cas." They stopped at the edge of a pier and Cas turned to stare at the soldier before him.

"But I'd like to learn." 

So they went down and they sat on the pier,
He said I bet you got a boyfriend but I don't care
I got no one to send a letter to
Would you mind if I sent one back here to you?

"Only if you let me write you back." Cas declared. Dean smiled.

"Of course."

I cried
Never gonna hold the hand of another guy
Too young for him they told her
Waitin' for the love of a travelin' soldier
Our love will never end
Waitin' for the soldier to come back again
Never more to be alone when the letter said
A soldier's coming home

They stopped at a photo booth on their way back to the diner, and took all kinds of goofy pictures. Cas scrawled his address on the back of one of the pictures and Dean tucked it safely in his pocket, promising to send Cas an address to write to as soon as he could.

Dean left a few hours later, and Cas headed home, still smiling slightly with his copy of the pictures in his hand. 

The pictures made their way into Cas's room, and his favorite got pinned up in his locker at school, where Cas was a senior. His family mocked the idea of him writing to Dean, insisting that it would be a waste of his time. But Cas knew better. There was something special about Dean. Something he was beginning to love already.