39

Just then Hermione climbed in through the portrait hole.

"Why weren't you all at dinner?" she said, coming over to join them.

"Because—oh shut up laughing, you two—because Ron's just been turned down by the girl he asked to the ball!" said Ginny.

That shut Ron up, Harry just barked out laughter with his sister.

"Thanks a bunch, Ginny," said Ron sourly.

"All the good-looking ones taken, Ron?" said Hermione loftily. "Eloise Midgen starting to look quite pretty now, is she? Well, I'm sure you'll find someone somewhere who'll have you."

But Ron was staring at Hermione as though suddenly seeing her in a whole new light.

"Hermione, Neville's right—you are a girl..."

"Oh well spotted," she said acidly.

"Well—you can come with me!"

"No, I can't," snapped Hermione.

"Oh come on," he said impatiently, "we need partners, we're going to look really stupid if we haven't got any, everyone else has..."

"I can't come with you," said Hermione, now blushing, "because I'm already going with someone."

"No, you're not!" said Ron. "You just said that to get rid of Neville!"

"Oh did I?" said Hermione, and her eyes flashed dangerously. "Just because it's taken you three years to notice, Ron, doesn't mean no one else has spotted I'm a girl!"

Ron stared at her. Then he grinned again.

"Okay, okay, we know you're a girl," he said. "That do? Will you come now?"

"I've already told you!" Hermione said very angrily. "I'm going with someone else!"

And she stormed off toward the girls' dormitories.

"She's lying," said Ron flatly, watching her go.

"She's not," said Ginny and Lexi together.

"Who is it then?" said Ron sharply.

"We're not telling you, it's her business," said Ginny.

"Right," said Ron, who looked extremely put out, "this is getting stupid."

"Y'know, if you had asked her earlier she would've said yes!" Ginny snapped at her brother, but Lexi had a feeling she didn't mean Ron.

The younger girl then followed Hermione to their dormitories.

"What's got into them?" Ron demanded.

Lexi scoffed and crossed her arms across her chest as she stood up, "You really are full of it, aren't you, Ronald?"

The Potter was about to walk away too when her brother stopped her.

"Hey, Lex, who're you going with?" he asked.

Lexi smirked, "I, dear brother, am the reason you're going to the ball with Cho Chang."

She didn't say anymore before walking away, leaving the boys to ponder what she'd just said.

"Wha—?" Then a look of realisation dawned over Harry's face, "ALEXIS!"

Don't forget to vote and comment <3