56

Dumbledore and Fudge argued for a minute or so more before Fudge said once again, "He can't be back, Dumbledore, he just can't be..."

Snape strode forward, past Dumbledore, pulling up the left sleeve of his robes as he went. He stuck out his forearm and showed it to Fudge, who recoiled.

"There," said Snape harshly. "There. The Dark Mark. It is not as clear as it was an hour or so ago, when it burned black, but you can still see it. Every Death Eater had the sign burned into him by the Dark Lord. It was a means of distinguishing one another, and his means of summoning us to him. When he touched the Mark of any Death Eater, we were to Disapparate, and Apparate, instantly, at his side. This Mark has been growing clearer all year."

Fudge stepped back from Snape too. He was shaking his head. He did not seem to have taken in a word Snape had said. He stared, apparently repelled by the ugly mark on Snape's arm, then looked up at Dumbledore and whispered, "I don't know what you and your staff are playing at, Dumbledore, but I have heard enough. I have no more to add. I will be in touch with you tomorrow, Dumbledore, to discuss the running of this school. I must return to the Ministry."

He had almost reached the door when he paused. He turned around, strode back down the dormitory, and stopped at the two beds.

"Your winnings," he said shortly, taking two bags of gold out of his pockets and dropping one each onto the foot of the two beds. "Five hundred Galleons each. There should have been a presentation ceremony, but under the circumstances..."

He crammed his bowler hat onto his head and walked out of the room, slamming the door behind him.

Harry quickly bolted up to look over at the other bed, "Cedric?!" he half-shouted disbelievingly. The boy on the other bed waved at Harry a little guiltily. "B-But you were—you were dead! I saw you die!"

Lexi put her hand on her brother's shoulder, "It's a long story, we'll tell you later, alright?" Harry seemed to want to argue but agreed nonetheless. "Oh, I can't believe what happened, are you sure you're alright?" she fussed, switching into 'mother' mode and bringing Harry into a well-deserved hug.

"A little confused, but m'right," he replied.

Dumbledore turned to the group. "There is work to be done," he said. "Molly... am I right in thinking that I can count on you and Arthur?"

"Of course you can," said Mrs. Weasley. She was white to the lips, but she looked resolute. "We know what Fudge is. It's Arthur's fondness for Muggles that has held him back at the Ministry all these years. Fudge thinks he lacks proper wizarding pride."

"Then I need to send a message to Arthur," said Dumbledore. "All those that we can persuade of the truth must be notified immediately, and he is well placed to contact those at the Ministry who are not as short-sighted as Cornelius."

"I'll go to Dad," said Bill, standing up. "I'll go now."

"Excellent," said Dumbledore. "Tell him what has happened. Tell him I will be in direct contact with him shortly. He will need to be discreet, however. If Fudge thinks I am interfering at the Ministry —"

"Leave it to me," said Bill.

He clapped a hand on Harry's shoulder, kissed his mother on the cheek, hugged Lexi and raised a hand to Cedric. He pulled on his cloak, and strode quickly from the room.

"Minerva," said Dumbledore, turning to Professor McGonagall, "I want to see Hagrid in my office as soon as possible. Also—if she will consent to come—Madame Maxime."

Professor McGonagall nodded and left without a word.

"Poppy," Dumbledore said to Madam Pomfrey, "would you be very kind and go down to Professor Moody's office, where I think you will find a house-elf called Winky in considerable distress? Do what you can for her, and take her back to the kitchens. I think Dobby will look after her for us."

"Very—very well," said Madam Pomfrey, looking startled, and she too left.

Dumbledore then turned to Cedric's parents, "Amos and Clarisse, if you would be so kind to wait for me in my office, I have a few things to speak with you about."

The mother and father didn't seem all too willing to leave their son, but after a short reassurance from Cedric, they left the room too. Dumbledore made sure that the door was closed, and that their footsteps had died away, before he spoke again.

I'll be back at school by the next update and it might be a bit late again, I'm seeing Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness in a week

I'll be back at school by the next update and it might be a bit late again, I'm seeing Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness in a week. OH! AND I GOT HARRY STYLES LOVE ON TOUR TICKETS FOR NEXT YEAR!!!! (not front floor tickets like we wanted but I'm seeing him nonetheless!!)

Don't forget to vote and comment <3