89

The day was made worse when Lexi found out that Harry had done the complete opposite of what George said and landed himself in another week of detention.

On the following day, the seventh years had a free period in the morning an some of them had been asked by Professor McGonagall to help out in her fifth-year Transfiguration class. This was namely: Lexi, Cedric, Amber, Patricia and Kenneth (who were all gifted in the subject).

Professor McGonagall marched into the room without giving the slightest indication that she knew Professor Umbridge was in there. The select seventh years waited outside until they were called in but could still hear the professor.

"That will do," she said and silence fell in the room immediately. "Mr. Finnigan, kindly come here and hand back the homework—Miss Brown, please take this box of mice—don't be silly, girl, they won't hurt you—and hand one to each student —"

"Hem, hem," said Professor Umbridge.

Lexi exchanged severely annoyed looks with her friends.

"Right then, everyone, listen closely—Dean Thomas, if you do that to the mouse again I shall put you in detention—most of you have now successfully Vanished your snails and even those who were left with a certain amount of shell have got the gist of the spell. Today, we shall be —"

"Hem, hem," said Professor Umbridge.

"Yes?" said Professor McGonagall.

"I was just wondering, Professor, whether you received my note telling you of the date and time of your inspec—"

"Obviously I received it, or I would have asked you what you are doing in my classroom," said Professor McGonagall, turning her back firmly on Professor Umbridge. Many of the students exchanged looks of glee. "As I was saying: today, we shall be practising the altogether more difficult Vanishment of mice. I have also asked some stu—"

"Hem, hem."

"I wonder," said Professor McGonagall in cold fury, "how you expect to gain an idea of my usual teaching methods if you continue to interrupt me? You see, I do not generally permit people to talk when I am talking."

There was no reply.

"As I was saying: I have asked some older students to come and speak to you about your upcoming OWLs. You may come in!" she called to the door.

In an orderly line, Lexi walked through first, followed by Cedric, Amber, Kenneth and Patricia. All five of them ignored the second professor and stood at the front of the room like robots.

Professor McGonagall motioned to her older students, "We are specially privileged to have our Head Boy and Girl along with three senior prefects in class today. They will now talk to you about your OWLs."

Lexi smiled around the room, her eye catching on her brother subtly, "Thank you, professor. I'll start with saying that OWLs aren't a free ride, you can't just slack off until the week of then study and just expect to pass."

Kenneth nodded along, "Take it from me, that's exactly what I did and I only just managed to scrape pass." Some people laughed, Umbridge could be heard scratching her quill.

Patricia went next, "We're giving you a warning that Potions and—if you take it—Arithmancy are the hardest subjects, so make you know what you have to there."

"You've already gotten the complete talk from all of your teachers, I'm sure," laughed Amber, "But we're not going to give you that, so don't worry."

"Prefects and teachers are here to help you if you ask for us, we're all happy to help you and it's what we're here for, so don't be afraid to ask." Cedric smiled.

"Lastly," said Lexi, "we'd like to stress to you that a failing grade will omit you from taking that class into NEWT level. So, please, study hard and make sure you know which classes you need a passing grade for."

Cedric clapped his hands together, "Any questions?"

Padma Patil raised her hand, "What's the most OWLs you can receive?"

The Ravenclaw seventh-year answered this one, "Twelve 'Outstanding's' is the highest score on the OWL tests. Only four known people have achieved this over the years—in fact, one of them is our very own Head Girl!"

Lexi blushed under all the sudden attention as everyone's eyes turned on her. Her deepest secret revealed. The Head Girl glared at the Ravenclaw prefect as she heard people muttering under their breath and felt her brother's eyes on her. McGonagall was smiling proudly.

"Any other questions?" Cedric said, bringing the attention back. He pointed to a Hufflepuff girl, "Yes...?"

"Hannah," said the girl, "Are you and Lexi really dating?"

The couple both flushed and Cedric immediately pointed to Dean Thomas.

"Who were the other people to receive all OWLs?" he asked.

"I believe it was Bartemius Crouch Junior, Bill Weasley and Percy Weasley." Kenneth replied.

Lexi watched Ron's ears go red. There were no further questions.

Professor McGonagall put her hands together a couple of time, "Thank you, dears, you may go now."

Don't forget to vote and comment <3