61

The wind suddenly became heavier and the sky darker. The star-strewn indigo sky was suddenly pitch black and lightless—the stars, the moon, the misty streetlamps at either end of the alley had vanished. The distant rumble of cars and the whisper of trees had gone. The balmy evening was suddenly piercingly, bitingly cold. They were surrounded by total, impenetrable, silent darkness, as though some giant hand had dropped a thick, icy mantle over the entire alleyway, blinding them.

Dudley's gang all stopped laughing and ran terrified for their lives—idiots. But Dudley himself was staring at the Potters.

"What you doing?" he asked cautiously.

Lexi shrugged and looked to Harry, "Not me."

"I'm not doing anything!" Harry said defensively.

It started to rain and all three of them began running toward the house—which wasn't too close. It felt like the darkness was chasing them. They ran for a few minutes before stopping in a tunnel under a small bridge.

There was something following them, something that was drawing long, hoarse, rattling breaths. Harry felt a horrible jolt of dread as he stood trembling in the freezing air.

"C-cut it out! Stop doing it! I'll h-hit you, I swear I will!" Dudley stuttered at Harry.

"Dudley, shut —"

WHAM!

A fist made contact with the side of Harry's head—Dudley had stayed true to his word.

"You idiot!" Lexi shrieked and helped Harry form the ground.

But Dudley started running to something he could not see.

"DUDLEY, COME BACK! YOU'RE RUNNING RIGHT AT IT!" Harry shouted.

There was a horrible squealing yell and Dudley's footsteps stopped. At the same moment, the siblings felt a creeping chill behind them that could mean only one thing. There was more than one.

"DUDLEY, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! WHATEVER YOU DO, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!" Lexi yelled at her cousin, then turned to Harry, shoving his wand into his hand, "Don't use it, you'll be expelled."

A towering, hooded figure was gliding smoothly towards them, hovering over the ground, no feet or face visible beneath its robes, sucking on the night as it came.

Lexi stood to her full height and raised her wand, thinking of her happiest memory, "Expecto patronum!"

A silvery vapour flowed form the tip of her wand at the Dementor, instantly preventing it from attacking them. Lexi focused hard on her memory and a silver doe emerged from her wand, driving back the Dementor.

Lexi aimed her wand at the Dementor on Dudley and both were driven away by the force of her protector.

Dudley lay curled up on the ground, whimpering and shaking. The Potters rushed to see if he was alright, but then he heard loud, running footsteps behind them. Instinctively they both raised their wands again.

Mrs Figg, their batty old neighbour, came panting into sight. Her grizzled grey hair was escaping from its hairnet, a clanking string shopping bag was swinging from her wrist and her feet were halfway out of her tartan carpet slippers. Harry made to stow his wand hurriedly out of sight, Lexi didn't bother.

"Don't put it away, idiot boy!" she shrieked. "What if there are more of them around? Oh, I'm going to kill Mundungus Fletcher!"

Don't forget to vote and comment and wish me luck on my big three day competition this weekend!! <3