Chapter 10: my name

It seems for safety's sake, it's better not to get too close to that so-called church.

"So which church are you from?" I asked tentatively, trying to get to the key question casually.

"Which church?" Selene looked a bit confused. "There's only one True Church across the continent!"

Huh? There's a True Church here too? I frowned slightly, this was too much of a coincidence. But I was quite certain everything that had happened to me so far was real, so this was the only explanation.

Although I still didn't understand why, based on the information so far, I likely had become an angel of this so-called True Church. From how Selene had addressed me as "Lord Angel" earlier, it seemed angels were her superiors.

I was suddenly very glad I hadn't appeared to them as an angel last night. Selene might not dare harm me, but if the Church found out, I'd probably get conscripted.

I didn't dare dig further into this issue, in case she became suspicious. She was already wary of me.

"So what's your plan for today?"

I saw Vivianne take out a pot from somewhere and start cooking over the fire with some ingredients. I realized there were no backpacks or luggage on the ground. They must have some kind of storage items, pretty advanced stuff.

The legendary space manipulation I'd heard about back on Earth was nothing compared to this.

"Of course, we'll go check out the battlefield we mentioned yesterday. It shouldn't be far from here, we can reach it today." Vivianne told me their plans while making breakfast. "Our mission is to investigate. We can't leave without seeing the site."

She gave me an apologetic smile, "So you'll have to come with us for now. We can only take you out of the forest on our way back."

"That's alright," I said.

At least now I knew we were in a forest called Elara Woodlands. My goal in joining them was to get them to lead me out of this forest, and then go to the city of Norvale where they had accepted the commission. I heard it was the capital of a human nation, very prosperous.

Since I couldn't leave the forest for now, I may as well get more familiar with them. Who knows what problems I might run into once we reach crowded areas.

After breakfast, we rested a few more hours before Brennan and Adrian were woken up mid-morning. Despite still having eye bags, they looked much better.

The atmosphere was far livelier than last night. Perhaps because they were certain I wasn't a threat, everyone had lowered their guard. Conversation flowed more freely between them.

The redhead Brennan was especially spirited, completely different from his sullen silence before. He told jokes nonstop, though I didn't get any of the humour. Still, it got giggles out of the two girls. Adrian was much more steady, telling stories of odd happenings in this world's places, seeming quite learned.

Honestly, from my experience, the team dynamics of these two men and women had some issues. There was likely some romantic drama mixed in. I just couldn't tell who was interested in whom after studying them for a while. If it were Reilly here, it would be a different story. I wondered how he was doing now.

Speaking of which, maybe I was already dead back on Earth? If so, people might think I drank myself to death. Dying from a few drinks would be pretty lame. I wondered if anyone would be sad, and I suddenly thought of Quinn.

She already had a boyfriend...I felt oddly downhearted.

"What's wrong?"

Vivianne looked concerned when I didn't speak for a while.