Vol 3/Chapter 12: The Restaurant in Edenmere

"These should all be residences for some angels. It's said that in the past when there were more angels, only high-ranking angels could live here. Now with the smaller population, even ordinary angels can move in," Cyra said, pointing at the villa-style houses lining the streets after we landed.

"Angels have social classes too?" Nicola looked around while walking, casually asking.

I saw the mixed architectural styles of the houses, with carvings of all kinds of fish, insects, birds, beasts, flowers, and trees nearly everywhere. I couldn't help but lament that angels live long uneventful lives. With nothing to do, they pursue these tasks that ordinary humans simply can't afford the time for.

"Of course there are classes! Wherever there are humans, oh, living beings, there are classes!" Cyra asserted.

"Our wings are the most straightforward representation of classes, no? Angels with more wings naturally have greater authority. And it's said that there's an Angel High Council for angels with eight wings or more. Only those big shots with ten wings can participate. Us newborn small fries don't get to know what they look like."

"That's normal. Just by the name you can tell it's some governing body for Edenmere with so many angels. It does seem over the top for a population of only tens of thousands though," I casually expressed.

"Not necessarily. With the recent introduction of light elf, the population has grown substantially, otherwise, it wouldn't be so lively," Cyra contested.

After leaving the residential area, a relatively bustling street came into view. Unlike before when we couldn't even see people, here we could at least spot a few angels or light elves passing by now and then.

"Finally some liveliness. I didn't know angels run businesses and earn money too?" Nicola exclaimed, suddenly pointing across the street, "There's even a restaurant!"

I looked in the direction she pointed. There was indeed a shop with a signboard reading "Human World Restaurant". Inside were all kinds of large and small tables and chairs. Clearly a restaurant.

"Of course! How can there be livelihoods without an economy? Although Edenmere's population is small and resources can be allocated on demand, that would drain vitality from society. Of course there would be trade," I immediately understood after some thought. These angels weren't servants of God revolving around Him like how the True Church portrayed. Naturally, trade would exist.

"Fine, the apparel stores and weapon shops make sense, but don't angels not need to eat? How is there even a restaurant..." Still confused, I walked over to peek inside from the entrance. Indeed, a few angels sat at tables eating despite the lack of crowds.

"Angels only don't need to eat given sufficient light elements. It's not that they can't eat," Cyra rolled her eyes at me.

"Many angels who return from the outside world grow fond of human world cuisine. Back here, of course, they would crave it. Demand begets supply. Commerce thrives on goods and technology brought back from the outside."

I see, the human impact runs deep indeed, I thought to myself and nodded. Just then, she lightly tugged at my clothes.

"Umm...during your month out there, did you earn any money?" Cyra asked, slightly embarrassed. With her already gorgeous face and that shy expression, I felt this brat can be pretty cute sometimes, if not for that mouth...

"Why do you ask about money?" Unsure how to respond, I asked back.

"Well...Edenmere uses the same currency as the human world, called Silver I think." Cyra's face turned redder. "I haven't eaten anything for a whole month already..."