Vol 3/Chapter 47 - Confrontation

"You must be joking! Reed is just a newborn angel who has never even been to the outside world. How could she possibly do anything detrimental to Edenmere?"

Elara remained calm and composed as she rebutted, looking as though she had already anticipated Yvonne's attitude.

"Besides, I know about these experiments. They are related to a derivative application of the Angel Descent Formation, just with some issues in the scope. I've already ordered Reed to correct it, so there's no need to worry at all. The light elements will be back to normal in a couple of days."

Elara's explanation was watertight, with barely any holes to pick at. But Yvonne merely paused briefly before refusing to back down, instead accusing further:

"Isn't this inappropriate? As the leader of the angelic clan and the Queen of Edenmere, you revealed detailed information about the Angel Descent Formation to a newborn angel with old memories. This is a blatant violation of the rules!"

Upon hearing this, even the angels behind her began murmuring amongst themselves.

"Rules can be flexible. Besides, you acknowledged that I'm the Queen of Edenmere, so naturally, I have the power to modify some outdated rules," Elara frowned, not expecting her opponent to be so stubborn. She could only try to reason with her.

"Surely you know we haven't made any progress with this formation in a long time. Now that we finally have a lead, how can we let this opportunity slip by? Reed didn't even look at any of the information, she was able to achieve this much just by looking at an overview diagram of the formation. Can you find another angel of equal or greater skill to replace her?"

"You..."

Yvonne was finally left speechless, stubbornly trying to confirm:

"Are you certain you didn't give Reed the information about the Angel Descent Formation?"

"Lady Yvonne! I can testify!" Mona suddenly spoke up, raising her hand.

"The request Reed made to me for the materials on the Angel Descent Formation was indeed rejected. You can verify with the Records Department if you don't believe me."

"Of course, I will verify!"

Yvonne nodded. Realizing she no longer had any grounds to make trouble, she could only use this as an excuse to leave with her group of angels.

"...Finally gone!"

Once I confirmed they were out of sight, I quietly let out a sigh of relief. The atmosphere just now was so tense, it was on the verge of erupting. If we hadn't been careful enough and she managed to find something to use against us, Reed would have been in big trouble.

It seems that even with Elara's protection, it's not absolute safety. The internal conflicts among these angels are far more intense than I imagined.

"You're the Queen and leader of the angels, yet you're so afraid of Yvonne?"

To Nicola, Elara's performance seemed too weak, which she really couldn't comprehend.

"If it were me, I would've long ago issued an order to throw her into prison, convicted of...mental illness! Oh no, that's not a crime. Then it would be slandering the leader!"

"It's not as simple as you think!"

Upon hearing this, Elara immediately shook her head.

"Although Yvonne and I are both ten-winged angels, she is much older than me. During the reign of Elara the Second, she had already obtained a councillor position by battling monsters. By the time I took over as Elara the Third, this veteran from the previous era was already well-established with many followers. So she is unmovable."