Chapter 58: Exploring Space and Time

Note, this chapter explains why there is only a 1% chance, along with some theories about expanding space and time. It is not very relevant to the plot, so feel free to skip it.

The content of this chapter does not guarantee there are no plot holes, and has overlap with many other theories, so let me first make a disclaimer.

If you don't like brain-burning content, can't understand it, think it's written incorrectly, or even find it too simplistic, you can skip reading it and ignore it completely. It will not affect the plot going forward at all. Skipping this chapter will allow you to seamlessly connect with the next chapters.

This kind of brain-racking content will not appear too much throughout the novel. The overall plot will not be brain-burning either, it will be easy to understand.

Based on the outline, there should only be one such chapter. Whether there will be more in the future depends on the situation.

----------------------------------------

"There are only two possibilities, right? Isn't that a 50-50 chance?"

Hearing her say this, I instantly thought of quantum uncertainty theory, the double-slit experiment, and Schrodinger's cat...

"That's just a hypothesis. Theoretically there are two possibilities, each with 50% probability, but in reality your chance of survival may not even reach 1%."

To my surprise, 12-winged Nicola gave a wry smile as she negated my viewpoint.

"Consider this - if one cannot predict fate and the future is uncertain, suppose person A on June 1st makes an agreement to be saved by their future self B the next day. But when June 2nd arrives, and A becomes B, B no longer wants to go back and save A from yesterday - what would happen?"

"Huh?"

I was stumped by this question instantly, feeling a bit stunned as I tried to answer:

"Would B suddenly disappear? Or as you said, would the worldlines start to converge, forced by coincidences of fate to be sent back to the previous day, trying different ways to save themselves as A?"

"Neither!"

To my surprise again, Nicola denied my answers.

"Your response is basically no different from worldline convergence, which means fate would be predetermined and predictable, contradicting my earlier premise. So the correct answer is: nothing would happen to B."

"But at that past point in time on June 1st, there was an A in the past who died due to B not coming to the rescue. This would then split out a new timeline of death. So there would be two timelines of death plus one timeline of survival - a total of three timelines."

"The one who chose not to go back, B on June 2nd, would naturally stay in that one surviving timeline. But for the A on June 1st the day before, the chance of death increased to 2/3."

"Then as time continues to flow, another A on June 1st faces the prospect of being rescued. If he gets lucky and ends up in that one timeline with only a 1/3 chance of survival, the same problem arises on June 2nd - should he go back to rescue A on June 1st or not? If he rescues, then he would be following history, no more needs to be said. If not, the previously described situation repeats, resulting in another added timeline of death, now a total of 4 timelines - 3 of death, 1 of survival. The chance of survival drops to 1/4... And so on in this vicious cycle, with A's chance of survival gradually diminishing - from 1/2 to 1/3 to 1/4 to 1/5...getting smaller and smaller until almost infinitesimally small..."