Vol 3/Chapter 31: Memory

"....Because the elemental affinity of humans is usually not high, they can only use auxiliary methods like chanting magic spells to improve their control over the elements in their bodies, also known as magic power. In contrast, we angels are born with a high affinity for the light element and can easily skip the chanting phase to directly control the light element in our bodies. This is the fundamental reason why many high-ranking angels can cast magic without chanting..."

In a more secluded small empty room in the Tivi Palace, Aetna was explaining to us the essence of magic.

Today's lesson was different from yesterday's. Her main goal was to help us understand the basics of elements and some magic theory. So she chose an indoor venue.

It was very different from the classroom when I was in school. Since this was just a temporary makeshift place, the entire room only had a few desks and chairs for us to use.

And the teacher had neither blackboard notes nor textbooks. Everyone had to improvise. As for the learning effect, we could only rely on ourselves.

"....In summary, the significance of magic lies in the chanting phase, which can act to improve elemental control. So 'casting magic without chanting' is an incorrectly used term. Strictly speaking, it should be called 'direct elemental control'. So in essence, magic is a process of indirect elemental control, a tool..."

Having finally finished explaining the last point of this part, Aetna heaved a sigh of relief and sat down to take a short break.

"Since angels can already directly cast all kinds of powerful attacks, why bother spending time learning magic?" It seemed to be Cyra's first time hearing this content. She surprisingly raised her hand to ask a question.

"Of course, we have to learn it! Having the ability to control elements and using elements to achieve a wide variety of effects are two completely different things."

But her attempt to slack off was immediately denied by Aetna. Indeed, even as talented as angels are, there weren't many shortcuts available.

"Think about drawing as an analogy. Even if you can control the pen to draw without using your hands if you don't even know how to draw, could you draw well? Controlling elements is the same principle. The application of elements also involves many factors, such as elemental flow, composition ratio, aggregation method, etc. These factors differ greatly among different magic. Even for us angels, it would be quite difficult to achieve these out of thin air. The higher-level and more powerful the magic effect is, the harder it is to control, of course."

"That's why magic provides a simple method to lower the difficulty - chanting. Chanting can help mental strength guide the flow of elements, enabling species like humans who originally could not directly control elements to achieve indirect control. Although we angels can directly control elements, we don't know how to control them. So by learning to chant magic spells, we can get familiar with magic first. Even many high-ranking angels still need chanting to assist mental strength in guiding and controlling when casting high-level magic. But of course, once the proficiency reaches a certain level, we can naturally skip those steps."

I suddenly recalled the situation when learning the Light Puppet. The reason why I could learn that magic by just watching it performed once was precisely because I learned the specific process of how the light elements flow inside Selene's body.

"Seems so complicated..." However, Cyra who asked the question was left dazed and confused.

"In other words, most methods of controlling elements were developed by humans through chanting magic spells?"