Vol 2/Chapter 61: Survivors

"Now we can finally return to the capital in peace..."

Just as everyone was casually changing the topic to going home, I suddenly felt something was wrong. It seemed like a large number of dark elemental auras had gathered around us unknowingly.

"This is..."

"Monsters!"

Not only me, Selene and Nicola also felt it. Everyone took out their weapons and held them in front of them when they heard me.

"There are them everywhere behind those extinguished forests in the distance..."

Hayden could see them with his naked eyes. Holding up his shield, he reminded us with a grave expression.

"We are surrounded!"

"I wonder how those mountain fires triggered by Michelle were extinguished so quickly..."

Nicola also saw them. She was fearless against one or two enemies alone. But when facing a crowd, especially nearly a hundred of them charging over like now, she didn't dare to be complacent.

"Don't...don't worry. Since your future self has come back, you must be alright!"

What I said was right, but seeing such a battle array, I was still very afraid. After all, only Nicola's safety returning was confirmed. Whether the others would survive or not was hard to say.

"Aren't these the late companions that Fire Goddess talked about?"

Because he was unconscious, Alfreed's memory remained at the moment when Michelle had just revealed her identity. So he still remembered very clearly what the other party had said before that.

"I thought it referred to the reinforcements at that time..."

Eleanora said with a crying face.

"With so many monsters now, even if most of them are not very powerful, how could we defeat them..."

Seeing those monsters had already rushed out of the forest and surrounded us.

Just when everyone was preparing to fight to the death, Selene suddenly put down her weapon and looked up at the sky, shouting excitedly.

"We are saved! Reinforcements are here!"

"Reinforcements again? In the sky?"

I looked up curiously following her, only to find a white figure passing by one after another from the low altitude in the distance...

They were angels...real angels, with pure white wings, flying in groups and regiments.

"They are angels..."

Nicola looked up at the sky with complicated feelings, not knowing whether to feel happy or worried like me.

"Attack! Kill all these monsters without leaving one!"

An eight-winged angel stopped above us and waved her long sword forward, commanding other angels to start fighting.

Hearing her order, those other angels immediately swarmed and charged toward the monsters around us.

Most of them only had four or six wings, holding all kinds of weapons. Some of them rushed down to engage in melee combat, while others remained in the air throwing magic down. Although there were only dozens of them, the monsters had no flying combat power at all on their side, completely at a disadvantage.

So the actual situation was a completely one-sided slaughter of monsters by angels. With one light spell thrown out by the angels above, large swaths of monsters below would fall. And most of the monsters simply couldn't hit those in the sky while lacking intelligence and could only let themselves get beaten passively.