The Vampire

"It's a long story..."

I breathed a sigh of relief when I realized he wasn't blaming me, but it was too much to ask me to explain what had happened with Blanche in this situation.

Fortunately, there were only some lower level grunts around us now, many without much intelligence, just charging recklessly forward. So I could barely manage to deal with these cannon fodder.

"Focus!"

Suddenly, Alfreed's voice rang out, followed immediately by an order to everyone.

"Follow me out now..."

With a sweep of his long sword, a large group of monsters in front collapsed all at once, suddenly clearing a path.

"Charge!"

Under his lead, all of us broke through the siege and raced wildly towards the west outside the city, with the monsters behind us giving chase.

"Let's get further away first before talking! It's too dangerous near the city."

Adrian called out while fending off some faster pursuers at the back. Seeing him overwhelmed, I immediately went over to help.

"Wasn't the plan to sneak back into the city? You call this sneaking in?"

Taking the chance, I snarked at him.

I didn't need to run with them. I could just fly behind them. So I was the most relaxed now, swinging my sword in midair to hack at the grunts.

"I was just about to sneak in as planned!"

He shot back, looking wrongfully accused.

"How would I know Alfreed and the rest would choose to break out of the city gate collectively? I had no choice but to reveal myself and help them when they were discovered."

He was just about to enter the city? I was puzzled, but quickly realized what had happened.

Unlike me, Adrian couldn't fly. He had walked all the way here.

And it wasn't like he could enter the city immediately after arriving. He would still need to observe the surroundings for a while to find a chance.

So while I was interrogating the prisoner at the volcano, he was still loitering outside the city gates.

"Then who came up with this harebrained idea of escaping through the city gates?"

I already had a guess, most likely Blanche. But I figured Alfreed wouldn't have readily listened to her suggestion.

"It was me!"

I nearly flipped! Never would I have imagined it was Alfreed himself confessing. Today was just full of "pleasant surprises". Both Adrian and I had guessed wrongly?

Now everyone was running desperately ahead. Just Adrian and I were left holding the rear. But we weren't too far. We could still hear each other loud and clear.

"What were you doing?!"

Adrian was also completely bewildered. He didn't expect the usually cautious captain to mess up like this.

"The captain had no choice!"

Eleanora, who had been silently following behind Alfreed, spoke up to clarify.

"For some reason, our hideout was exposed. Blanche came back early to warn us while scouting outside. The captain could only lead us to hastily retreat. The city was also undergoing house searches everywhere for some reason. With nowhere else to hide temporarily, we saw the city gates opening by chance. So the captain brought us there to see if we could get a chance to escape."