Vol 3/Chapter 46 - Eager for Talent

"What do you mean 'we'? This was all your idea, it has nothing to do with me!"

As soon as Nicola heard this, she immediately denied any involvement and came to stand by my side.

"I don't believe for a second that you had no part in this!"

I rolled my eyes at her and said.

"Come on, confess. An elaborate magical array this large, you must have been involved somehow, right? Reed couldn't have pulled this off alone."

"It was mostly her who drew it. I was only responsible for getting materials from Mona, and some finishing touches... "

Of course, Reed wasn't stupid either, she didn't want to take all the blame herself, and could only weakly defend herself. At first glance she looked pitiful, making one unable to bear to criticize her.

"Don't act all innocent and push the blame onto me!"

As soon as Nicola heard this she couldn't stand it anymore and revealed all of Reed's misdeeds.

"Anyone can see that without your design and planning, I couldn't have drawn such a profound and complex magical array! Feliciana already warned us not to mess with it earlier, but you ignored her, insisting on continuing to research compressed gases. And now look what's happened!"

"Don't drag me into this! I didn't know what materials you wanted the array for, I was just following Lady Elara's orders and fulfilling your requests!"

At the same time, Mona was also waving her hands desperately, indicating she didn't want to get involved.

"Alright, stop pointing fingers at each other!"

Elara yelled loudly to stop their bickering, and massaged her temples as she asked Reed directly:

"Was this magical array designed by you alone?"

"...Yes."

Reed hesitated briefly but ultimately chose to confess.

"I spent several days researching, before coming up with this method of utilizing absorbed light elements to sustain the array. This is equivalent to a magical perpetual motion machine in Edenmere! If you just give me a few more days I can get it to work, I just need to adjust some parameters..."

"Wait!"

Elara stopped her long-winded explanation, looking very serious as she said:

"I don't understand what you mean by perpetual motion machine and parameters. But looking at the patterns of this array, they seem a bit familiar - does it have to do with the Angel Descent Formation?"

"It was indeed designed with reference to the Angel Descent Formation patterns..."

Reed readily admitted it.

"I had Mona request the full documentation on the Angel Descent Formation earlier but was rejected by the higher-ups. I could only get an overview diagram, and it was this diagram that inspired me and helped me resolve the issues with the light element absorption part of the functional circuits."

"That makes sense, only top brass have access to the full details of the Angel Descent Formation. Even with my authorization, those stubborn old geezers probably wouldn't easily share it with a newborn angel like you..."

Elara nodded, showing she understood. But then revealed a wry smile.

"Our angel clan has been puzzled by the mechanisms of that formation for thousands of years. Yet you managed to recreate part of its functions just from an overview diagram - that's simply unbelievable!"