Vol 3/Chapter 107: Dark History

"How can we fight it if it doesn't have a physical form? Doesn't that mean we can't possibly win?" Nicola's voice asked in confusion.

"Although I'm not clear what happened afterwards. According to the records, the two founders did eventually defeat the God of Light together with the remaining humans and Fire Angel, completely destroying its consciousness," Elara answered.

The scene suddenly went dark, like switching scenes. It looked like a long time had passed. I found myself standing in a grassland, with a huge magic circle on the ground - the Angel Descent Formation I had seen before, judging by the pattern.

A group of nude Angels stood in front of me, looking in my direction.

"You are the second batch of Angels summoned. Beluto has been dead for years, but the light elements won't just disappear. The recovery of the dark element is too slow. Based on calculations, there is still a chance for a new God of Light consciousness to be born. The light element level needs to keep decreasing to a certain level..."

It sounded like Liana was the one speaking, though I couldn't see her in this first-person view.

"That's why we specially created this Angel Descent Formation, to gradually seal the excess light element into angels' bodies, and implant basic knowledge and memories."

"So has the balance between light and dark been restored now? But I feel like the light element level in the air still seems very high..." The leading angel asked doubtfully.

"It's not that simple!"

Liana shook her head and sighed again.

"A single summons can only be a drop in the bucket. But as long as you steadfastly expand your race's numbers, one day the balance between light and dark can be restored. That is also the purpose of your creation..."

"So does that mean this can be considered the mission of the Angel race?" The leading angel asked excitedly.

"Uh..." Liana sounded hesitant at first but quickly clapped her hands decisively. "That's right, this is your mission! It's good you think of it that way!"

So that was the so-called mission of the Angels... I finally understood why Elara and Elder Gwendolyn had reacted that way when the topic was brought up. At least through this memory fragment, we finally knew the founders' reason for creating the Angel race.

The surroundings went dark again as it switched scenes.

"Your Majesty! According to Angels from Outside, recently many magical beasts have been landing and invading the northernmost coast. They emit dark elements and are mostly very violent, with exceptionally strong bodies. Many villages near the coast have been attacked and forced to move south. The entire coast is now occupied..."

This was a huge hall - upon closer look, it was the Sanctuary in Tivi Palace. But it looked very different now, much more luxurious. Aside from two more intricate, lifelike founder statues, there was also a huge throne between them.

The six-winged Angel reporting was facing the ten-winged Angel on the throne. More Angels stood on either side, a mix of eight and six-wings, looking very much like a scene of an emperor holding court.

"The magical beasts are so arrogant now? I remember they were just normal livestock and wildlife affected by dark elements, they shouldn't have much intelligence right?" The ten-winged Angel on the throne asked in an authoritative voice. Listening closely, she sounded like the leading angel from before.

"Your Majesty!" An eight-winged Angel stepped out. "According to the local fishermen, these beasts came from the northern continent, where the land is barren with active volcanoes, so no one lives there. They seem quite organized and disciplined, all obeying a powerful magical beast called 'Hadan'..."

"Hadan? A magical beast with a name like that? Are you sure they're not here just to joke around?" Cyra suddenly interrupted to ridicule.

"Shut up and watch properly, I can barely hear what they're saying!" Nicola scolded in annoyance. Cyra immediately kept quiet.

"What!" The ten-winged Angel on the throne suddenly slammed her fist and stood up angrily after hearing something.

"This Hadan dares to be so arrogant even after hearing my name, Elara the First! If not for our Angels constantly working to reduce the light elements over the years, would they even have survived until now!"

"I hereby order - I will lead the crusade personally and thoroughly conquer these beasts, to show them the might of the Angel legions!"

"Ah... I know this part!" I suddenly realized and recalled the history book I had flipped through in the library.

"This Elara the First later invaded the Dark Continent but seemed to have died there."

"This is recorded in many history books, it's no secret," Elara said matter-of-factly, not surprised at all.

The scene switched again. Still in the Sanctuary, but the first person I saw was Elara.

"Angels shall never be slaves!" The Elara on-screen wore angelic armour and swung her glowing elemental weapon at another ten-winged Angel, smashing her and the throne and two founder statues behind her...

But the scene abruptly ended there and we were back in the pavilion. Nicola and the rest were still sitting around me.

"Boss, don't stop the show!" Cyra blurted out impatiently.

"Ehem... what kind of nonsense is recorded in this memory crystal..." Elara coughed awkwardly. She had likely cut off that last part herself.

"I think you should understand the Angels' mission very clearly now, right?"

"So those statues in the Sanctuary were added later, no wonder they look so shoddy..." Nicola remarked meaningfully with a smirk.