Volume 2/Chapter 1: The Capital Norvale

Even Minos wasn't killed by me in the end, it was her who did it.

"Um..." Nicola was at a loss for words, this made it even harder to find any clues.

"But levelling up is a good thing, right?" I could feel the power in my body grow stronger, having more strength to protect myself was not a bad thing.

"That's true." Seeing me say this, Nicola didn't dwell on it further. After all, we really couldn't figure out the reason.

After hiding my wings again, we left the room to find the others. Everyone was very surprised when they heard I levelled up, but they also had different guesses about the reason. Even Selene had no idea what happened.

After breakfast, everyone left the town and continued the journey to Norvale.

As expected of the main road leading to the capital of the Astralrealm Kingdom, the road surface was not only much smoother but also wider, almost like an asphalt road.

"Let me tell you, the phoenixes at the peak of Mount Lebosari are in their breeding season right now..." Brennan was skipping and jumping along the road, telling everyone about his planned next adventure. "If I could steal a phoenix egg and tame it, my beast mastery would reach a whole new level!"

"Forget it. A phoenix egg is something you dare to snatch in your current state?" Adrian poured cold water on him. "Have you forgotten what happened last time you tamed that light dragon? You blew up someone's house, and still didn't learn your lesson."

"That's why I wanted to ask you guys for help..." Brennan said somewhat awkwardly, losing all confidence.

"The key is why do you need to tame so many magical beasts? Your body can't handle that burden." Adrian berated Brennan distressingly, seemed like it wasn't the first time he said this to him. "They don't get tamed for free, they will absorb your life force and magic power. With your low magic, using them too frequently is prone to problems."

"I also agree with what Adrian said, you should focus your efforts on control and utilizing the existing ones for now." Vivianne joined Adrian's side and said concernedly to Brennan. "Your beast mastery still has a lot of room for improvement."

At first when I was listening to their conversation I didn't really understand. Isn't taming magical beasts just like raising pets? How did it involve life force? Later I asked Adrian and finally understood what was going on.

Turns out the way Brennan tames beasts is different from my understanding. It's actually a process of transforming the beast's body into elemental form. These elemental beasts would reside in the master's body, using his magic power to sustain themselves. Usually there's no problem, but once restored from elemental form to physical form, it would continuously consume massive amounts of magic power, even life force.

Since the magic power used to sustain the elemental form comes from the user himself, the beast's actual power changes along with the user's own strength. So it becomes a growth-type beast. In that case, the original power of the beast before taming isn't that important, what matters more is the potential. To lower difficulty, adults are rarely considered, usually only the young are taken for elemental transformation.

Because sustaining physical forms consumes huge amounts of magic power, even high level mages can't sustain it for minutes. So it's generally used for short bursts at critical moments, then made to disappear immediately. This predetermined that it has little use for mages, but is more welcomed by warriors who lack magic power but fight with their bodies.

This explains why in combat Brennan would only summon the beasts for a short instant before they disappear. Because he also can't sustain them for long. Once his magic power runs out, it would start depleting his life force. If it goes on for too long there'd be mortal danger.