Battle

It was a gruesome scene that met my eyes.

The first thing I noticed was a huge cracked boulder split into several pieces. It left a strong impression on me, because I remembered this thing falling from the sky and causing the sudden change in the situation before everything erupted into chaos.

"That looks like a Doomsday Meteor!" Selene cried out, naming what sounded like a magic spell.

The boulder had smashed out several extremely wide fissures in the ground, and the golden veins that had previously shone brightly were now completely dull, as if devoid of life. The scene felt extremely chaotic, with rubble and shredded clothes and armor scattered everywhere, surrounded by misshapen corpses piled up like a massive garbage dump. The multicolored blood had long since dried, but countless trails of it running across the ground were still visible.

"These are all beastmen corpses," Brennan said gravely as he looked around. "I don't see any human bodies."

I felt very uncomfortable. Although the beastmen had been dead for a long time, there was still a disgusting aura lingering in the air, and it was much stronger than the last time. On top of that, the overpowering smell of blood mixed with the horrific state of the mangled corpses and guts strewn everywhere made it seem like a nightmare. As someone born on Earth, this was my first time seeing such a scene.

The others weren't faring much better. The two guys and Vivianne managed to keep frowning, but Selene already had her hand over her mouth with a nauseated expression. As for me, the aura made me unable to hold it in any longer, and I dry heaved over the ground but couldn't bring anything up.

"Maybe we should leave this place first," I heard someone gently patting my back, and looked up to see Vivianne standing behind me suggesting to Brennan.

"I'm fine, I'll get used to it after a while," I shook my head, not wanting my problem to disrupt their mission, especially since I hadn't actually thrown up anything. Maybe it was because I hadn't had much to drink recently, so there wasn't even any liquid in me.

After retching a few times, I did feel much better.

"Weren't we told this was the site of a battle between angels and beastmen? Why don't I see any angel corpses?"

I remembered the boulder falling and probably crushing quite a few angels, yet there wasn't a single body to be found at the scene.

"Angels are elemental creatures. When they die, they dissipate into light element, leaving no remains," Selene glanced at me, seemingly finding it odd that I didn't know even such basic common knowledge.

I see, so that's why I have so much light element in me. In other words, if I die in the future, it'll be a "no body" situation too? What a bizarre feeling.

By now, the two guys had left the central area to search the outskirts. This place was so spacious they quickly disappeared from view.

"Those two really are impressive, seeing a scene like this without any reaction." I suddenly felt immense admiration for Brennan and Adrian. Just how much tolerance did it take to appear completely unfazed?

"We're all part of the Adventurers' Guild. We often form parties and adventure together, so we're long used to sights like these," Vivianne said indifferently. "And Adrian frequently takes mercenary work from the army, so this is nothing to him."

"I was only assigned to this mission. I rarely leave the church otherwise," Selene nodded repeatedly in agreement, looking deeply moved.

Looks like I'm the weakest link here, I thought wryly.