Vol 3/Chapter 99 - Elder Gwendolyn

However, Elara looked around at all the attendees present, but did not continue speaking. Instead, she frowned and asked:

"Where is Elder Gwendolyn? Why hasn't she arrived yet when we already sent someone to notify her?"

This was the first time I heard this name. If there were no surprises, she should be the remaining one of the three Elders.

"Is Elder Gwendolyn going to be absent from this meeting again?"

"After all, she lives in the outside world most of the time, entangled in human affairs. It's hard to say."

"I heard she was working as a maid in a human noble family. She skipped the last high-level meeting because she was too busy."

"No way? How could an Elder of the angel clan possibly work as a maid? Being a daughter would make more sense..."

Although there were not many attendees, I could still hear whispers between Legion Commander Serena and Legion Commander Shirley.

"Ahem..." Elara coughed lightly to indicate a reminder. She then distributed documents to the councilors present.

"This is the casualty report of the demon invasion. We convened this emergency high-level meeting mainly to discuss future plans for city reconstruction and a series of foreign policies, including the expansion plan for the angel legions and field training assessments for low-ranking angels."

"Expansion plan? Field training assessments?"

Councilor Pauline, who had not been seen for a long time, immediately spoke up when she heard those words.

"Given this assault on Edenmere, it would be too risky for us to venture deep into the Dark Continent, seeking revenge in haste may lead to even greater casualties. But strengthening the defenses of the main world against demons through cooperation with humans is achievable. At the same time, recruiting more low-ranking angels into the angel legions for training, as well as appropriate field training - such as working at adventurer guilds opened by humans - will better increase their chances of survival when facing demons."

Elara did not hide anything and proposed the planned scheme very directly. The heavy casualties among low-ranking angels this time forced her to come up with countermeasures.

"I don't think it's a good idea. We already have enough legions dispatched to the human kingdoms. Just the Third and Sixth Legions already have nearly a thousand members. If we further expand the scale of the angel legions and implement this new field training policy, won't the chances of friction with the demons be even greater?"

Although Councilor Pauline did not quite agree with the proposal, her tone was still very careful.

"Are we still afraid of friction with the demons now? They have come attacking our home! I'm looking forward to it!"

Shirley, sitting next to Serena, snorted contemptuously, clearly disdaining Councilor Pauline's attitude.

"Lady Elara is too merciful, still allowing conservative members to remain on the council. If not for other angels testifying that you did not participate in the rebellion, and indeed led resistance against the demons. I would have arrested you long ago!"

"This..."

Upon hearing this, Councilor Pauline shrank her head in fright and immediately stopped talking.

"Councilor Pauline is actually from the conservative faction too?"

I was stunned for a moment, then recalled her playing the mediator when Yvonne and Meg argued at the welcome banquet. It seems that not all the conservatives are traitors!

"Excuse me, sister, could you move your legs a bit..."

A voice that sounded rather young suddenly rang out next to my ear. Looking back, I found that a girl who looked about eleven or twelve years old was standing next to me somehow, bending over and looking rather sneaky.

"You are?"

I reflexively glanced at the entrance of the conference room. The door was pushed open a slit, apparently her doing.

"Shh... Just let me sneak by quietly!"

The girl made a hushing gesture and then turned sideways, trying to squeeze through the already cramped space behind Serena.

"This is where the high council is meeting. Did you get the wrong place?"

Cyra, sitting next to me, of course also saw her and asked in confusion.

Although the girl had no wings on her back, it was easy to see that she must also be an angel. But this was the first time I had seen an angel so young in form.

"Keep it down!"

Hearing Cyra's words, she became flustered at once, putting on a frightened expression. However, all of this was heard by another angel sitting in front.

"Huh?"

Serena looked back and immediately understood. With an amused expression, she said:

"Isn't this Elder Gwendolyn? You're late!"

"Busted!"

The girl looked up at Serena peering over the chair and covered her forehead, closing her eyes.

"You are Elder Gwendolyn?"

Cyra and I exclaimed in unison.

"No way? You look so young, are you an adult?"

Nicola was also completely bewildered, habitually questioning the girl's age.

"Is there even an underage concept for angels?"

Cyra was puzzled.

That said, even though it's not easy to discern an angel's age, isn't this Elder Gwendolyn a bit too young?

Although Elders like Elara and Yvonne also look very young, at least they appear to be in their twenties, which is not too jarring.

"Are you really thousands of years old?"

I thought about it and decided to just ask directly.

Even though the other two Elders were this old, perhaps she alone was younger? After all, there's no rule that one must be thousands of years old to be an Elder.

"That's right, I'm already close to 5,000 years old, about the same as Elara! The angel descent formation that invoked me back then lacked sufficient materials to construct a full body with enough light elements, so I could only temporarily remain in this underage form."

Since she was already exposed, Elder Gwendolyn no longer hid it. She stood up straight and proudly answered:

"In fact, I've grown a lot over the years! I remember when I first started, I wasn't even as tall as this chair."

Well, there's not much improvement, just half a head taller...

I silently dissed in my heart, of course not daring to speak out loud.

"So that's possible too?"

Upon hearing this, Cyra stroked her chin as if pondering something unsavory.

"As long as you're over 18, wouldn't that make you a legal loli?"

"Speaking of which, how's your research on angel descent formation with Mia going recently?"

Nicola suddenly turned to the book-obsessed Reed and asked earnestly. Afraid she would associate Cyra's words with something, she specially emphasized:

"Don't worry, I'm just genuinely curious!"

"..."

Reed raised her head and glared at Nocola, not wanting to say anything, and went back to burying her head in the book.