Volume 2/Chapter 53: The Strange Angel

Although the roads in the Karga Mountains can conceal our tracks, they are much more difficult to traverse than the gravel wastelands of the Dark Continent. And to minimize the chance of exposure, Nicola and I don't even dare to fly, we can only walk with everyone for now.

All the way, everyone is rather quiet. We should be celebrating our return to the Astralrealm Kingdom, but the situation is still dangerous with pursuers behind us, so it's hard to be happy.

The only noticeable difference is probably the dark elemental aura in the air that is gradually becoming fainter. After staying in the Dark Continent for so many days, suddenly being free from the foul environment around us, my whole body feels much more refreshed.

"Is the Fire Goddess really as powerful as you guys claimed, that so many of us have to take a detour to avoid her?"

Seeing Alfreed and the rest with gloomy expressions, always silent, Hayden finally couldn't help but speak out.

After all, although we kept mentioning that she should be very strong, there was no actual experience regarding a goddess he had never heard of before.

"You should have seen how powerful Claudia is. A goddess that even she respectfully addresses, how could she be lacking?"

Alfreed glanced at him and sighed as he answered.

Probably because his weapon was borrowed by me, Hayden didn't directly participate in the battle. So he couldn't feel the pressure that everyone else felt when facing Claudia.

I'm the same, because I lost consciousness at the time, everything that happened was told by Nicola afterwards, so I don't have much intuitive feeling either.

But this does not prevent me from inferring Michelle the Fire Goddess' might based on this information.

"But the vegetation in these mountains is so lush. Can they really catch up to us?"

Eleanora seemed a little skeptical about this. In order to conceal ourselves, even Nicola and I had folded our wings. In the Dark Continent, the monsters might not even be able to find us, let alone in the mountains of this kingdom.

"It would indeed be unlikely under normal circumstances..."

If it was before seeing those maps that looked like satellite surveillance, I would probably be so optimistic too. But my intuition tells me that things are not that simple, and I feel a little uneasy for some reason.

"Feliciana, take Selene and head back to Norvale first."

Adrian probably has similar concerns as me. He walked over to me and said,

"It's too risky for you to keep following us, and don't you still have an unfinished mission? This is a good opportunity for Selene to leave with you too."

"No..."

I was about to decline as soon as I heard it, but on second thought, this didn't seem to be just my own business anymore, it also involved Selene. My mission was to escort her back safely to the capital in the first place, and now was the perfect time to complete it, right?

"What about you guys then?"

I looked at Alfreed and the others walking ahead. If I left with Selene, there would be even fewer people left. What if the Fire Goddess catches up?

And what about Nicola? I don't know if she would stay behind if she knew I was leaving.

"If you're going back to the capital, I must go with you. It could still be dangerous in the skies with just the two of you, you may not be able to handle it, especially with another person."