Being Watched

"Wa—" I quickly covered my mouth, almost screaming in shock. In front of us was an enormous lizardman, over 3 meters tall. It was one of the three monsters drinking earlier.

How did he get out so quickly? We just saw him at the table.

"Huh? Not a caveman."

When we saw each other, the lizardman also saw our faces hidden under the hoods. He looked confused.

"So you're underage dark elves?"

Being called underage is rather sad...

A strong, awful smell of dark elements and alcohol wafted from the lizardman, making me dizzy.

So they really were drinking alcohol. And from his unsteady steps, he was clearly drunk.

"Mm..."

Even when drunk, his eyes were still sharp. He was about to let us go when he suddenly noticed something off and picked us up again.

"Strange, you look too pale..."

He leaned in to sniff us.

"And you smell of light elements?"

Oh no, we've been found out! I looked at Selene held in the other hand. She also looked anxious.

"What do we do?" I mouthed to her.

Just then, the lizardman suddenly roared towards the tavern, "Hey! Come see these young dark elves tainted by light, two of them!"

"What light tainting!"

Only laughter came from the tavern. They didn't seem to believe him.

"How can there be light tainting here? You think this is still Elara Woodlands? Hahaha..."

Luckily they mistook us for being tainted by light. Selene and I exchanged surprised looks hearing Elara Woodlands mentioned in a place like this.

"You don't believe me!"

To our shock, the angry lizardman carried us into the tavern and heavily put us side by side on the chairs in front of the table.

"See for yourselves! Isn't it so?"

"Huh, it really is..."

The wolfman and demon were stunned, staring at us with their drunk eyes. Finally the wolfman admitted losing the guess.

"It really stinks! Bro, you win this round. Take them away quickly. This drink's on me, cheers!"

He raised a huge cup and poured alcohol into his big mouth.

"Elder bro... she doesn't look like... like a dark elf."

The demon reacted differently, stuttering while pointing at me. He seemed to sense something off, completely ignoring Selene.

Being so close to the demon, I also felt strangely irritated, as if he was my mortal enemy. I was much more disgusted than with the lizardman and wolfman.

Oh no, I thought we had fooled them, but things had suddenly turned bad.

Maybe because he was too drunk, the demon couldn't focus and kept rubbing his eyes, unable to ascertain my true identity.

"Strange... what exact... exactly is she..."

"What do you mean she doesn't look like one!"

Unexpectedly, the lizardman got furious at the demon's words. He slammed the table, spilling all the cups and bottles.

"I say she looks like one, so she does! Are you denying her just because she's tainted by light? I, Kurnel, hate discrimination the most!"

"Calm down, calm down!"