Feeling Inferiority

When the bony dragon first bit towards me, the impression is still fresh in my memory. I couldn't help but shiver again, not to mention its astonishing speed. If not for Adrian reminding me in time, or if it was a slightly smaller monster, I probably would have barely escaped today.

"But what does this have to do with me caring about what others think of me? Even if I was being reckless, you still shouldn't hit me for it..."

I said very indignantly,

"Anyway, I was trying to create an opportunity for everyone to escape!"

"You..."

Adrian seemed quite angry with me and went straight to the crux of the matter.

"Then why were you willing to risk your life to actively create an escape opportunity for everyone?"

"I..."

The various lofty reasons that I was about to blurt out suddenly became stuck in my throat. Should I really say that I was being self-sacrificing for the greater good?

I'm very clear that I'm not that kind of person. I had just joined the team less than two days ago. How could I possibly be so selfless already? If I used that kind of reason as an excuse, it would be too shameless.

"You were just afraid of everyone finding out you were 3rd rank! Afraid that after they knew, they would look down on you because of your low rank. So you wanted to take the initiative to perform, to gain their trust!"

I shuddered. It was as if Adrian had torn away the fig leaf covering my heart completely and saw right through me, stating everything accurately! Many things that even I was unaware of unconsciously doing, only after he pointed them out did I suddenly realize the reasons behind them.

Come to think of it, wasn't I looking for Alfreed precisely because of these factors? And I didn't hesitate to tell him I was 3rd rank, hoping to get this opportunity to perform. Wasn't it because I was afraid I couldn't keep it hidden any longer?

"I reminded you before not to care what others think of you. Hiding your identity card was one thing, I didn't mind if you didn't listen to my advice. These were all nothing. But I didn't expect the pressure Eleanora and Hayden gave you to be so great that you would take such risks, willing to charge to your death just to maintain that little bit of standing in others' eyes."

Everything that happened around me had been noticed by him. He accurately pointed out those things that had previously stimulated and embarrassed me, making me flustered.

"What you did was really...really...inferior."

Seeing Adrian's pained expression, he seemed reluctant to say those words.

"I'm sorry..."

I lowered my head in great shame.

In fact, he was right. I didn't even know why I cared so much about what others thought of me. I always felt that if others discovered I was not what they imagined, there would be an inexplicable sense of fear, wanting to make up for this relationship desperately, even unconsciously ignoring the serious consequences.

After all, if Adrian hadn't insisted on following me, I would probably have been chewed to pieces by the bony dragon now. Only at this moment did I realize how much he had done for me in between.

"Feliciana, you are really not weak! Judging from your escape from the bony dragon's pursuit just now and your past achievements, you have really reached the 4th rank level, and even surpassed it. You don't have to believe me, but you should believe in yourself!"