Internal and External Troubles

"So you can't come back with me," Adrian said matter-of-factly.

"Firstly, if we both go back, what would be the point of escaping in the first place?"

"Secondly..." He pointed at my wings behind my back.

"An angel like you already stands out in a demon-infested city. We can't sneak back in if you're flying, and it'll be too easy to expose us if you come along. There's no way we can blend into the city."

"But I can hide my wings, you know that..." I desperately tried to argue.

"Still too risky! Even if you hide them, like you said before, you were still recognized by that succubus! Plus, without any fighting ability you'll just become a... Anyway, your ability to fly is useless in the city now. It'll be safer if you go get help, that way we can make the most of your speed."

His words left no room for doubt. His reasoning was solid, leaving me no ground to stand on.

And I knew what that unsaid word meant. I was frustrated but couldn't come up with a good counterargument to bring me along.

"How about we check out that volcano first? It's not far. If it's really the teleportation spot we're looking for, we can split up afterwards. If not, we can find the right place first before deciding what to do next."

Left with no choice, that was the only suggestion I could give Adrian. If he was set on going back alone, we might as well thoroughly explore the area together first, since it'd be hard for him to leave the city again after entering.

To be honest, I hated being alone in this toilet bowl of powerful enemies.

"There may not be time for that..."

Adrian gave a helpless smile and rejected my plan.

"I understand what you mean, and I don't want to waste this chance either. But there are more important matters to attend to inside."

"More important matters?"

I didn't understand. What could be more pressing than investigating our escape route?

"I'm worried about the Captain and the rest..."

He didn't seem to want to tell me more, just casually mentioning it. But his words left me confused.

"Worried? What could happen?"

To be safe, the Captain and the others were staying hidden in our base the whole time during this operation. It was virtually foolproof.

"You're not tricking me again, are you?" I looked at Adrian suspiciously. It felt like he had tricked me a few times already. I wouldn't let it go until I got a clear answer this time.

"Fine, looks like you won't understand if I don't explain clearly."

Adrian sighed helplessly, turned to look in Val City's direction, and said gravely.

"You've only been here a short while, so you might not have noticed. But our squad has been trapped here for a week already. Our supplies and morale are both stretched to the breaking point."

"That bad? No way, right?"

I stared blankly at him. From my impressions, that seemed like a sensationalized statement.

"I understand the issue with supplies, that's why I went out to get demon beast meat to pad our stocks. But about low morale, Eleanora and the rest seemed quite positive!"

"That's because they've pinned all their hopes on you, the angel that appeared! It wasn't like that before you came."

Adrian glanced back at me and continued.