Vol 3/Chapter 3: Edenmere

Just then, I saw the angels flying ahead of us stop and turn around, as if waiting for us.

"Sorry..." I started to apologize, thinking they were annoyed that Nicola and I were flying too slowly while messing around.

But Serena shook her head and said, "We're here."

"What? That fast?" I was surprised. It felt like we hadn't flown very far out of the Astralrealm Kingdom yet. How could we be there already?

"Are you sure this is the place?" Nicola and I looked around. Besides us angels there was nothing but open sky. I was expecting Edenmere to be built among the clouds, but that didn't seem to be the case.

"Yes, you'll see it in about 50 more meters," Serena smiled and explained. "Or you can try sensing the aura of light elements ahead."

"Light element aura?" Following her suggestion, I did feel a faint dispersion of light elements leaking randomly out of the void ahead, infusing into the air.

"Come on, follow us inside!" Serena flew forward and her whole body disappeared after advancing a short distance. The other angels followed suit.

Nicola and I exchanged glances before reluctantly flying after them.

"So this is Edenmere?" As we flew, the scenery abruptly changed and a vast land appeared spread out before us.

"What's going on?" Nicola and I looked back and saw a huge golden portal hovering in midair, slowly rotating. It seemed we had just flown out of that.

"It's a concealed teleportation portal that connects the human world to our angel world, allowing only us angels to pass through," Serena explained from up ahead as she led us towards a city nestled in the distant land. "And the exit isn't fixed to the Astralrealm Kingdom, it can change locations freely."

So convenient and customizable? No wonder Edenmere was always described as so mysterious in legends. Now I realized ordinary humans could never find this place.

"So it's like a completely separate world?" From Serena's words, I gathered this was different than the Darklands, it was its own distinct world.

"Yes. No matter how far you fly, you can't reach the human continent of Eldoria. This world is small, about the size of the Astralrealm Kingdom."

Serena's voice came from up ahead as she led us towards a city nestled on the distant land below.

"What if the teleportation portal gets damaged?" Nicola suddenly asked. "Wouldn't we all get trapped in here with no way out?"

"Don't worry, contingencies were put in place long ago. If the portal is damaged, the entire Edenmere landmass would reappear in the oceans of the main world. It originally split off from there, they say."

"What? An entire continent was split off?" Hearing this incredible feat from Serena, I was once again awestruck by the might of angels.

As my attention was drawn to the expansive forests blanketing the land below, Nicola suddenly said to me, "Feliciana, don't you think the sunlight here feels strange?"

"Sunlight?" Reminded by her, I realized there was no distinct light source in the sky. The whole firmament seemed to glow, bathing the world in a soft, hazy brightness.

"Unlike the main world, there is no day-night cycle here so the light element is more abundant and constant," Serena explained, noticing our reaction. "That's why we angels can always stay energized. You don't even need to sleep if you don't want to."

"Amazing..." No wonder I felt more comfortable the moment we entered this world. I had to admire it - the environment was perfectly suited for angels.