A Wake-Up Slap

"This city is already very big. You don't have to go to the city center where the deep pits may be more dangerous. Just find a place relatively far from the city walls and towers," Alfreed advised us before we went out.

"We will keep an eye on you here at all times," were his last words before the gates closed.

Adrian and I glanced at each other then rushed towards the city center without a word.

"Let's stop here," Adrian said, stopping at a location moderately far from both the city walls and the central pits.

This crossroads was quite spacious and also far from the nearby spires. I thought it was very suitable.

"Shall we begin?" I asked Adrian after tying him up tightly in front just like with Selene.

"Wait..." Though I couldn't see his expression, his voice sounded a bit strange.

"Loosen the ropes a bit."

I thought it was fine, this was how Selene was tied up earlier! But since he specifically asked, I reluctantly loosened the ropes slightly.

"That's the most I can do. Any more and it won't be secure," I said.

"Okay...fine," Adrian still sounded odd.

"Any issues?" I frowned, puzzled that he still sounded strange when I thought the ropes were too tight.

"No issues!" he affirmed.

Seeing his confirmation, I immediately revealed my wings, releasing them from concealment.

"Fly up quickly!" I didn't dare hesitate at his urging and immediately flapped my wings, swiftly rising above the surrounding rooftops.

To avoid the city walls as much as possible, I didn't dare fly out diagonally at first. I could only circle and ascend in a small area.

"I'll keep watch around us. You just focus on flying," he voluntarily took on the observation duty to prevent me from getting distracted. That reduced my stress quite a bit.

As expected, Adrian was slightly heavier than Selene but still just one person and not fat. I could easily ignore the bit of extra weight.

"Is this height okay?" I asked when we were about halfway up the tower height.

From here, almost half the city was visible. As for the guards on the city walls, given how tall the walls were, I felt we probably couldn't escape their eyes if we stayed at this height.

"Go a bit higher," he thought the same as me.

But just as I was about to ascend further, I suddenly heard a "zzzzzzz" vibration sound around us.

"What's that?" I was so startled I became nervous instantly. But looking around, there seemed to be no monsters. So what was that sound?

"The spires!" Adrian responded at once. Realizing on his prompt, I immediately noticed the nearest few spires were vibrating rhythmically. I didn't detect it at first because the amplitude wasn't big.

"What are they trying to do?" This was clearly aimed at us but I didn't understand their intention. Unsure if I should keep ascending or fly sideways to get farther from the spires, I could only hover uncertainly.

"Fly away quickly!" Adrian yelled as a huge white skeletal structure rapidly emerged from the central pits. It was extremely large and clearly shaped like a dragon.

"It's a bone dragon! Run!" Adrian urged me anxiously again. Did I need his reminder? I instantly turned and flew towards the city exterior.

"Faster! Another one coming out! Bone dragons are 6th order monsters, over mid 6th!" Though escaping, he still updated me on the situation behind us, even accurately reporting the enemies' order.