Vol 3/Chapter 60: The Use of the Prize

"Oh..."

I responded emotionlessly. Although I now had complete faith in Aetina's judgement, her words of encouragement still felt lacking.

"By the way, how did Nicola's competition go? Did you watch it?"

I suddenly remembered the original purpose of coming here.

"Of course I watched it. She exceeded my expectations and got third place!"

When it came to the swordsmanship finals, my conversation partner immediately switched to a wry smile as she replied.

"No way! That wind slash is useless against angels, isn't it?"

I said in surprise. Based on the level of strength, an eight-winged angel had already surpassed a 6th-order light elf. Logically, Nicola shouldn't have stood a chance, and it would have been impressive for her to not finish last.

"It's useless! But we underestimated her control over the wind element. Even if the wind element can't injure an angel's body, they can still be affected by the force of wind-based skills."

According to Aetina's explanation, I gradually understood the situation of the swordsmanship competition.

Since it was a battle royale, although Nicola had the reputation of a newborn angel, the top dogs with eight wings didn't see her as their primary target. Their focus was more on opponents of similar rank.

So in the initial period, she was able to relax and hide around the edges of the arena. For a six-winged, although her swordsmanship was lacking, she could still barely hold her own.

However, the situation soon changed.

After a period of mutual attacks, those eight-winged angels finally calmed down and agreed. They decided to first eliminate the weaklings before fighting among themselves at the end.

At this point, Nicola could no longer hide. With her inadequate sword skills, she had no chance against the top contenders. So in desperation, she used that new killer move.

Unlike with the male light elf, this time her "XXX Hurricane Slash" directly struck an eight-winged angel in the chest. Although it didn't injure him, the tremendous force still blew her out of the arena.

According to the rules, leaving the designated area meant failure. So that angel who had chased after her was inexplicably eliminated.

This gave Nicola a taste of success, and of course, she wouldn't stop there! After a few more slashes, violent winds whipped up across the entire arena. The vast majority of contestants were caught off guard and "blown" out of the field, leaving only two eight-winged angels who relied on their formidable strength to remain inside.

There's not much else to say after that. With her killer move rendered completely ineffective, faced with the fierce joint attack of two top contenders, Nicola decisively chose to surrender, easily securing third place...

"How could no one suspect she was using magic?"

I asked in disbelief. This outcome was just too outrageous. If I were the referee I would have disqualified her as a cheater.

A ban! Banning her for a few hundred years. No, a few thousand more like it!

"I already said, theoretically speaking, that her move doesn't count as magic. Besides, it wasn't the first time the referees saw her use it."

Aetina shrugged and explained.

"Furthermore, we angels generally judge the use of magic by sensing the flow of elements within the opponent's body. Although some angels noticed Nicola's skill seemed related to the wind element, no one in Edenmere could detect whether she had wind elemental energy flowing in her body. After all, no one had ever heard of an angel using wind magic before. So in the end, like in the preliminaries, this move could only be treated as battle qi."