Chapter 37

Nervously I tapped the keyboard, I would go to Mr. Schmidt's office and I didn't really know what to expect. Jenny had tried to encourage me during the meal, but I couldn't really relax.

"It's four," Jenny sits next to me on the desk. At first, she had resented me for not telling her about the drama about Max, but in the end, she had forgiven me. The few hours between Max's basket and my offense felt like days and yet it wasn't a day, so I didn't really have time to report it at home.

I stopped writing and looked at my colleague: "Maybe I should start clearing my desk. I don't think he'll bring me to the office to send me his congratulations."

"You'd like to paint the devil on the wall right away, if you had to clear the desk, he wouldn't have let you attend the team meeting this morning," I had to agree with her. If I hadn't been in Baku, He would have called me before, I hoped at least.

Jenny jumped off the table: "Whatever he wants from you, you'll know now, because you should go to him." I really didn't want to leave, but to have the boss wait would have been stupid of me. But my stomach began to rebel from the thought of the conversation.

Jenny cheerfully patted me on the shoulders as I made my way past her to our boss's office. This time I was at least so clever and used the elevator. Inside, I hoped he got stuck so I couldn't talk. Only fate meant it badly with me and the elevator stopped on the top floor without any problems.

My hands and legs were shaking, luckily, I had sneakers on, I would certainly have fallen over with heel shoes. I tried to think of cats or a beach, just to calm myself down, but my heart just kept racing. At the door, I took a deep breath and knocked on the door before I could think about it. I had to get in there, whether I wanted to or not.

After entering I opened the door and entered my boss's office. He sat at his desk and looked at me with a poker face, which made me even more nervous. Each face would have been better than this one without emotion.

"Hanna, sit down," as there was no question, I followed his instructions. I had to swallow when I was facing my boss directly and didn't know what was coming. I didn't want him to see my insecurity, but this time I obviously didn't succeed.

He crossed his fingers on the table and looked at me forcefully: "To be honest, I don't know what to do with you. A lot of viewers want you away, and they want you to stay."

I wanted to swallow, but my mouth was so dry that I couldn't swallow anything. I could feel my heartbeat clearly and I was so bad that I was afraid to squeal.

'Because I'm happy with your work, you're going to fly with you for the time being. If the voices that want to take you away because of your relationship become louder, I must put you to your and our protection. The same applies when the media keep you from your work. Hanna believes me, I just want the best for you, because you are like a diamond that still needs to be cut. Everything I do, I do to protect you and Sky Sport," Without a recitation, I looked at him.

I could understand him and yet I was scared. Fear what it would mean for me and my future if I was removed. Would I have to go back to these stupid game summaries and comment on highlights for the rest of my life, or would I have to leave Sky Sport altogether.

My boss leaned back: "Your talent is undeniable if you know the hand. But with this relationship you haven't done yourself any favours, careers have ended because of less. I don't have the right to interfere in your private life, but I'm worried. Max Verstappen isn't one of the ones who is going to be settled, don't put your career on the line for one man who might be in bed with another one.'

"Thank you, but believe me, I know what I'm doing," a fat lie. No one knew what he was doing if he claimed he knew. But his words about Max had made me angry, but I didn't want to leave them out on my boss. It cost me a lot of self-control to stay friendly to the older man towards me and luckily, I managed to do it too.