Chapter 96

All together we sat in a restaurant in the evening and talked while we were eating: "And how do you like France?" Caterina looked questioningly at Jessi, who had been silent until now and had killed her schnitzel again with her fork.

"Nice, I think. I didn't see much, I didn't arrive here until 5 o'clock," Jessi tried to say as little as possible. I could clearly hear the shaky nature in her voice, as a wall of pain of separation was probably accumulating in her again. Caterina also seemed to notice it and looked at me, probably having the same thought as me.

So we both got up and I pulled Jessi up with me: "We have to... You know..." I just said to Max, who had looked at me questioningly. I hadn't even waited for his answer, but simply pulled Jessi behind me to the toilets.

Behind the closed door, I pulled Jessi tightly into my arms, while Caterina probably didn't quite know what to do. Jessi and she didn't know each other and yet she probably wanted to help her.

"Let it out, that's the fastest way to get past. And if it doesn't feel like it right now, it will pass, I promise," Caterina tried to do her part. I stroked my best friend's back reassuringly as she cried bitterly. It broke my heart to see her on the ground like that and just be helpless.

Slowly, Jessi pulled away and wiped away her tears: "Excuse me, our food is getting cold because of me." She was visibly embarrassed that she had cried again. It was understandable for me as well as for the Italian woman and we didn't care about our food right now.

"You don't have to apologize for anything. Do we want to go back to the hotel? We can have a nice evening there too," Caterina suggested. Since I personally didn't care, I just looked at my best friend. She was visibly torn, as she probably had the feeling that she would ruin our evening if we went back to the hotel.

"Let's go," I took over the decision for her, "Jessi go to the car before, we'll quickly get our things and let the boys know."

"But I still have to pay," I just shook my head. Max would take over, so he had already decided in advance. It was his support to Jessi, so to speak, because otherwise he didn't know how to help her. So he didn't want her to worry about such things.

After a little discussion with the blonde about paying, she went to the car, while Caterina and I go to our seats: "We're going to the hotel, Jessi is not well. Maybe I'll stay with her tonight, I don't know yet."

"All good, take care of her. She needs you more than I do right now, but make sure you get enough sleep tonight. If something happens, just give me a call and if it's just a delivery service for ice cream or whatever," he offered me.

I raised my eyebrows: "You are already aware that this is a movie cliché. We're also not going to watch romance movies, like in the movies. But thanks, I'll call if we need ice cream." I kissed him briefly before I went outside with Caterina to Jessi. She was already sitting in her car and looked as if she was about to cry again.

"Should I drive?" Caterina looked at me questioningly, "She doesn't look like she should be driving in her condition." I had to agree with her, but I knew how much Jessi loved her car and always wanted to drive. Since she had the test, I had never seen her in the passenger seat.

"Can you drive a car?", Jessi had gotten out of the car and held out the keys to Caterina. She had tears in her eyes again and had probably noticed herself that she could not drive us safely to the hotel. And unfortunately I dropped out because my driver's license was still in Switzerland with the police.

Nodding, the Italian woman took the keys and sat down on the seat where half the Swiss, half Dutch had sat before. Without saying another word, she sat down in the back seat, so that I stood alone in front of the car. For a moment I thought about sitting in the back next to her, but then decided to sit in the passenger seat, because Jessi probably wanted to be a bit alone. Otherwise, she probably wouldn't have sat in the back.