Chapter 81

"Where are you taking me?" Laughing, I tried to take his hands off my eyes. But he kept them in front of my eyes so I couldn't see where he was taking me.

We had just eaten with the group, but Max wanted to surprise me with something, which is why we had not gone back to the hotel like the others: "A little more patience, we are right there, dearest." At the last word, a pleasant shiver ran down my spine, which could also be due to the gust of wind that blew towards us.

"We're here," so I was able to open my eyes again. Immediately a smile crept on my lips when I realized that we were at the beach. Grinning, I turned to him and closed my hands around his neck before giving him a slight kiss.

Whereupon the corners of his mouth skyrocketed: "Surprise succeeded?" I nodded with a smile and kissed him again before looking up at the stars. You didn't see many because of the city lights, but a handful came up against it, at least here at the beach, which was probably on the outskirts of the city.

I remembered the beach in Melbourne and our conversation: "Your grandpa would certainly be proud of you." Embarrassed, I wanted to turn my head away, because I was uncomfortable with his words, because I just didn't know them.

"What's going on?" He put his hand on my chin in such a way that I had to look at him. He could probably only see the glitter in my eyes all too well. Only I could not suppress the pain and the associated tears, even if I wanted it only too much.

I tried to make it clear to him by shaking my head that nothing was happening, but he didn't believe me: "It's just... Except for my uncle, no one ever said anything like that to me, I was always the outsider who was never enough for the family. No matter what I did, I wasn't what they wanted me to be, which I felt. Over the years I have learned to keep my dreams and plans to myself. I am used to putting people around me in front of a fait accompli, as it was the only way to survive in this family. To bring the ridicule and mockery to a minimum so that it was bearable."

"You don't have to hide anything from me, I'm always proud and will always support you wherever I can. You are no longer alone and will never be again, I promise you," he brushed away my tears.

I easily broke away from him and turned back to the sea: "You put so much effort into it and I ruined the mood. It does..."

"Don't say it, because there's no reason for it. If I had known in Barcelona how much you suffered because of your family, I would never have let them near you. No one should hurt you, not even your family," he gave me a kiss on the right shoulder blade. Before he put his arms around me and pressed me to himself. His hands rested on my stomach, automatically I put mine on his.

I could not suppress further tears, because the pain of all these years overwhelmed me and the hormones contributed their part: "After they had taken away my chance at the Academy and thus the ice hockey, I had tried... To take my life." I had never openly admitted this, not even to the doctors. I had always portrayed it as an accident. I would have just fallen asleep in the bathtub, but it was fully intentional, as I could no longer stand the oppression. I had felt forced into a life that I never wanted to live.

"And I thank God for not allowing him, my angel. I wish I could have protected you sooner, but I do know one thing. You are the strongest woman I know. Because you made it out of the hole," I had thanks to my friends. Without them, I would never be alive, even if they didn't know they had saved my life.

When I could, I pressed my back to my boyfriend's chest a bit more: "Nobody can change the past, nobody needs that. Without them I would hardly be here, because the spot and the malice had somehow made me even more ambitious. I always wanted to prove to them that I was good enough and could do it. Until you came, I had forgotten why I should do the whole thing, because it was my passion. You saved me by coming into the room there in Melbourne. I will never be able to thank you enough for that."