Chapter 113

The weekend just seemed to last forever, plus Max's frustration because things didn't go the way he wanted. When he crossed the finish line behind Pierre on 5th, I could already hear him cursing, even without being near him. It was a weekend to forget for him. But I hoped for Pierre that this result would not come too late and that he would still be able to keep his deserved place at RedBull.

When I stood with the media to do the interviews, I had a slight stomach-ache before Max's interview: "Today it didn't go so well for you, although it looked very good for a long time." He tried to keep his face under control, but his eyes had betrayed him. He was mad, not at me, but at Vettel. He had earned the podium and then Vettel drove into the rear of him.

"It's a shame for the team, of course, but the stewards will certainly take a closer look at the incident. In the end, I got the best out of it. But it certainly wasn't what we wanted and what we deserved," he bravely replied. He tried not to let his anger sound through.

"Today you had to fight hard battles with Ferrari, at the pit exit you were even on par with Charles Leclerc. Do you think RedBull is capable of beating Ferrari with this car? And what else can we hope for from the last two races before the summer break?", I continued. I smiled at him almost apologetically, because I really didn't like to ask him such questions.

"We're better," he squeezed out a little aggressively, "You saw that today, at least until Vettel had to shoot me down to get past. We will certainly do everything we can to close the gap to Mercedes. What the two races will bring, victories." I guess he had had enough.

But I reached over the barrier to grab his hand before he would go to the next interview. Only he had taken it away from me, so that I had no chance to talk to him anymore. I knew he was frustrated, so I just let him. Instead, I turned to Checo, who was next with me.

Even though I tried to stay professional, I couldn't resist looking for Max with my gaze again and again. Only his gaze didn't seem to seek mine once, which in turn frustrated me.

When I had the last interview behind me, there was nothing left of Max, which is why I went to the RedBull motorhome. Even before the motorhome, Vic intercepted me.

"You'd better leave him alone," she advised me, "He's in a pretty bad mood and needs some time for himself right now. Don't take it to heart, that's how he always is when things don't go the way he wants them to. Like a little kid who doesn't get the lolly."

I sighed, "Do you and Tom at least want to go out to eat? I'm hungry and I'm ready for today. By the time Max calms down, I and the babies must have starved to death." At that, the blonde could only laugh.

"We don't want that; otherwise, Max will probably never calm down. But let's make a girl food outside," she decided. I didn't mind either, but I didn't want to leave Tom out. In the end, however, she had to discuss it with him.

She had written to him briefly before she asked me to follow her, and we walked towards the exit. Luckily, she had the car keys for her rental car, and we were able to drive her car to a restaurant. Contrary to expectations, she had not chosen an overpriced and chic restaurant, but a small but fine pizzeria.

"What are you looking at?" she said when I had followed her out of the car, "Have you become so accustomed to luxury that you have forgotten what a normal restaurant looks like?" Since she laughed, I could only laugh with her.

"No, but with you Verstappen I didn't believe that you could do normal too", luckily, she took my saying with humour. I was also a bit happy to go out to eat normally again without having to dress up in a dead chic way. It felt a bit like I used to when I went out to eat with my friends in Switzerland. I also have to admit, I missed it after all the luxuries.