Chapter 103

Blurry, I perceived a man next to me, jotting something down on a clipboard before stretching. I tried to turn my head and its direction, but pain and something on my neck prevented me from doing so.

"Lie still, Mrs. Gasser. We are already on our way to the hospital; nothing can happen to them and their babies. You are in the best hands," I heard the voice of the unknown man next to me.

Just as I was about to ask what had happened, the memory came back: "Daniel?" He had thrown himself on top of me to save the little ones. Unlike me, he wasn't wearing a seat belt. Nothing should have happened to him, he had to drive a race on Sunday.

"He'll probably be in the hospital as soon as we know something, we'll tell them or the colleagues on the ground," he promised me. He had briefly touched my upper arm, which made me slightly uncomfortable. But I guess I wasn't able to do or say anything about it.

My skull was buzzing, and I was incredibly exhausted: "Try to stay awake." The paramedic had probably noticed how I was struggling to stay awake. Even though I was wearing a seat belt, I had the feeling that I was about to fall off the stretcher when I made a sharp right turn.

To relax, I put my hands on my stomach. I had the feeling that I could calm them down and have Max close to me. The feeling of being close to my children not only relaxed me, but also made me forget my pain.

It felt like the ride took forever, but I was still trying to understand how it could happen. I also felt like I was trapped in a movie or dream, I just couldn't understand that it was reality. That I had another accident with a car. At least this time it wasn't mine and I didn't drive.

Neither my team nor Max will probably let me back into a car. I will probably have to walk everything for the rest of my life. Or be upholstered with pillows so that nothing happens to me anymore.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the door opening. Carefully and yet quickly, I was taken out of the car to the emergency room on a stretcher. We were probably expected there, because a nurse, doctor's assistant and doctor were ready.

One paramedic let go of all sorts of things from the clipboard, which, apart from my age and name, was too high for me: "Then we'll take a quick look at your twins and then we'll take care of your neck and head." The doctor had told me briefly before she threw technical terms around.

"Then get well soon, Mrs. Gasser and the little one," the two paramedics said goodbye to me. I just thanked me because I just wasn't capable of anything else. Besides, what else could I say, after all, they had other patients who were probably just waiting for them, and I didn't want to stop them.

In one room, the doctor was already picking up my beloved, disgusting gel. Since I wasn't quite there, the nurse had quickly exposed my stomach, where the gel had already landed. Since I couldn't turn my head, I didn't have a chance to look at the monitor.

So, I kept my eyes closed and prayed inwardly, nothing should have happened to the two of them: "Everything looks good, your colleague must have protected her well." Relieved, I exhaled and opened my eyes. At the same time, I felt a tension because I didn't know how Dan was doing.

"Do you know how he's doing?" I asked. Since she knew he was lying on top of me, she had to know what was wrong with him. At least that's what I hoped, because ignorance drove me crazy.

"He's in the operating room," she replied curtly, "His shoulder was dislocated, ribs were broken and a major laceration on the back of his head. In addition, a fracture of the upper arm and many bruises. But he was lucky. But now let's look at your head and neck."

She nodded to her assistants, who were already pushing me out of the room again. I didn't know where it was going, but in my condition I didn't care. The only thing that mattered to me was that my babies and Daniel were doing well. He protected my children and God should protect him for that.