Chapter 46

A woman stood up when we were brought to her table: "You are. Why do you always have to understate children, she is much more beautiful than you described, Max. You have to be Hanna; I am Sophie the mother of Max and Victoria. I'm looking forward to meeting you."

"Hanna, I'm happy too," I had already landed in my mother's arms. I looked a little overwhelmed to Max, who was probably a bit embarrassed how his mother almost attacked me. But I didn't think it was that bad, because the first impression couldn't have been bad with it.

Max hugged his mother before we sat down at a table, while Max sat next to me and his mother sat opposite us. Even though I had taken the first hurdle, I was still nervous. So, my friend put his hand on my thigh and stroked calmly over it. They were only slight touches and gestures, but to me they meant the world. He was really there for me and would help me.

In order not to embarrass me, I only ordered water: "If you want, you can also have a wine, you don't have to drive." Max had quietly whispered this to me, because he knew that I liked to have a glass of wine. Of course, only on special occasions or if I was in a restaurant like now.

"But I have to be fit tomorrow, otherwise I can't comment on your rides nicely," I told him. Actually, I was just afraid that I might spill wine with excitement and in front of his mother this would have been a little uncomfortable for me.

Max raised an eyebrow: "What does it mean to comment, my rides are always beautiful." Now I raised an eyebrow, because we both knew it wasn't always like that. Especially since he didn't really manage to win with Mercedes and Ferrari.

"Of course, the great Max Verstappen wins every race", I almost forgot his mother towards us. But a quiet laugh from her made me remember where we were and why. At the moment I turned a little red and wished me a black hole, but unfortunately this wish did not come true to me.

Max gave me a kiss on the cheek: "My son is probably in the best hands, in which success likes to get a little bit in the head or even the failure." Max looked at his mother slightly nasty, because he was uncomfortable, but I found it quite sweet again. Sport thrives on emotions, at least that was my opinion. Max, I knew his outbursts only too well, they just belonged to him and yet I knew what his mother meant. His comments were not always good for him or his image, I would have to live with it and I would be able to live with them. For I loved the Dutchman as he was, even with his ill-considered statements.

"I will do my best, but his skull is thicker than from an ox. I also love his little quirks, without which life would be only half as exciting," I told Sophie.

Max looked at me in surprise: "Is my girlfriend conspiring with my mother against me? You also have a thicker skull than me." Tried to understand what was happening here and somehow to save the situation.

"She also has to assert herself in a profession where there are actually only men, you need a thick skull my boy. In addition, life with a Verstappen is really exhausting, if you don't have a thick skull you don't have two minutes out," his mother said. Max's facial expression was simply delicious, so Sophie and I both had to laugh. Max was a bit snapped up and sipped on his water, which had just come.

Sophie had her son smouldered and turned to me: "You've always loved motorsport or how did you end up in the formula at Sky?" I actually thought everyone knew my story, especially since the press heard about Max and me.

"Motorsport was never mine, I love ice hockey. My uncle was an ice hockey player and is now in the sports directorate of my home club, I grew up on the field. While my best friends wanted to play, I always just wanted to comment, so it happened that I was allowed to comment for the club. They discovered me and by chance I ended up in Formula 1 because they didn't have anyone else," I tried to keep it as short as possible.