Chapter 93

Tired I lay in bed and watched Modern Family, Max had left 20 minutes ago, believing that I would go right away. But I wanted to have a cozy evening.

But this did not last long, because my stomach growled. I could have just ordered room service, but then Max would have found out that I was here in the room all evening. So I forced myself to leave the room.

Somewhat haphazardly, I walked through the streets and hoped not to meet the boys when I went in search of a takeaway. Luckily for me, I quickly found one and made my way up a hill with pizza.

Since I was still not allowed to drive, I had to take the bus, which made me nervous. I hoped that no one recognized me and that no pictures of it got on the Internet and thus to Max. He would probably blame me for lying to him, and rightly so. I could have told him what was really going on. But then he probably wouldn't have left and I wouldn't be able to sit on a park bench above the city and just enjoy the silence.

The sun was just setting and I could see how the hustle and bustle of the city was getting less and less. There was something calming about how it got darker and darker and thus the mood became more relaxed. I closed my eyes and enjoyed watching a little breeze blow through my hair.

However, my silence was disturbed by my phone, or rather by Jessica: "Hey, what's up?" But when I saw her face on the screen, I stopped and took a closer look at the image that presented itself to me. We had been through so much together, but I had never seen her so devastated as at that moment.

"Hanna," a sob left her throat, "We quarreled about Geneva and Lugano." It took me a moment for their information to reach me and for me to put the right words in my head.

"That's not so bad, Max and I argue too...", I didn't get any further.

She began to cry more firmly: "I broke up. It's... Hanna, Greg and I are no longer a couple." Maybe it was naïve of me, but I couldn't imagine Jessi and Greg breaking up. They had been together for so long and always seemed so happy.

"You will get along again and forget everything. In an argument, you often say things that you regret afterwards. Jessi, it's all going to be fine. You just have to talk to him and everything will be as it was," I tried to reassure her.

But my friend shook her head: "No, Hanna nothing will be all right. We should have done this a while ago. We are not 15 anymore, things change. People change."

"What exactly happened between you and Greg?", my voice had become soft and sensitive. I wanted to understand what had happened between the two, that they had apparently suddenly separated.

The blonde looked away for a moment before looking at me again: "You're in France, aren't you? I'll come to you, that is, when I get a hotel room and you want to see me at all."

"Of course I want to see you, Jessi. And don't worry I'll sort this out with the hotel. Do you just drive carefully or do you fly to Nice? I can organize someone to get you because I'm still not allowed to drive," I offered her.

"I'm driving," she said, "I need time to think and be alone before I tell you the truth. Who knows if you'll still want to be friends with me."

I looked at her seriously, "Nothing in the world could change that, Jessi. You're my family and I don't have too much of them anymore." She smiled faintly at me before hanging up.

Without much thought, I called Max: "Did something happen? And where are you, it's so quiet." I felt easily caught, but that didn't matter.

"Jessi is on her way here, could you ask Christian to arrange a room for her in our hotel?", I almost pleaded. Since I didn't have his number, I had to involve Max.