Chapter 58

Luckily, we had enough sleep before we went back to the track. Max and I talked about the upcoming qualifying and his chances. I was hoping not only for him, but also for the sport, that this weekend he would finally have a place at the top of the podium.

"If I win, I want to see you in the team, how you cheer me," Max demanded. I myself would have liked to say yes and would only like to cheer him, but my job did not allow this. Finally, I always had to hurry to be in time from the booths in the reporter zone for interviews. I just couldn't afford to come late for the interviews because I wanted to cheer on my friend.

But a glance at his eyes was enough to decide against my job: "Of course, as if I missed a champagne shower. I have to be there when you bury the dominance of Mercedes. One day I will be able to comment on you as the world champion and no one will be able to stop me from cheering you." I really believed in that, maybe not this year, but 2020 will surely be the year of Max.

"As much as I like to shower you with champagne, as long as you're wearing the Sky Shirt, you don't get a drop. No one should ever see what you look like in transparent things, just me," I forgot. Why did you have to make white shirts, because I wanted to have a champagne shower.
Before we could continue to talk about his victories and white shirts, we had reached the finish line. Photographers were already lurking when we got out, but we didn't pay attention to them and passed the security barrier. There wouldn't be fewer photographers lurking behind it, but I pretended I didn't see anyone.

Jos and Christian were talking just as Max and I were coming to the Red Bull building: "There's the birthday kid, all the best for 20." While I thankfully serene Christian, Jos hugged me. I wished the Red Bull men good luck, because Christian and Max still had to discuss things.

"How are Blue and Jason?" I asked Jos. Jason was only born at the beginning of the month, so I hoped everything had gone well. Actually I had suggested to Max to visit and meet him after the Baku disaster, but Max did not seem so enthusiastic about his brother. Asked about it, he tried to push it for missing time, but I thought Max was scared. He had been the only son so far, he was probably afraid that Jason might compete with him.

Jos seemed to be still in baby happiness: "Blue is doing very well, she wants to be a figure skater because she has seen a video of you. Jason is a good baby, he doesn't often scream and sleeps a lot." It was nice to see Max's father's eyes shining as he spoke of his children. I hoped that one day Max would have the same shine.

"A video of me?" I didn't know what he was talking about. There were no recordings of me as an ice skater, I had taken care of that years ago. I had never really liked this sport, at least not when I was at training. But my mother wanted it because she wanted me to do something girlish. So I had a deal with her at the time, as long as I did figure skating, as long as I was allowed to play ice hockey.

Jos took his hand and played the video: "I don't know, but you seem to be good at it. Why wasn't this followed up." I had to swallow, so he had a sore spot. Even though I always wanted to comment, I had a lot of fun playing and I had been good, but never good enough for my family.

"It was just a hobby, but if Blue wants, I can go on a train with her," Jos said, luckily not asking anymore. Until now, I had thought I had finished with the subject, but I probably didn't have that. Maybe I would never, because I was deprived of my greatest joy at the time.

Max's father seemed to like the idea: "That would be nice, then she can see if she really likes it. I would go with her but neither I nor Kelly can drive, at least not good enough. So if you really want, I'd give Kelly your number.' Immediately I nodded because I loved helping and loving children. But only if I could give it back.