Chapter 108

Occasionally you could hear the cars on the street, otherwise it was still quiet. It felt like I was in Switzerland in my small hometown and not in a city by the sea. Even though Monaco was really beautiful, I missed the smell of freshly mown grass. But it didn't smell of manure here. A slight smile crept onto my lips.

A light wind blew through my open hair and gave me goosebumps on my body, but I sat still. My eyes closed and listened to the sounds of the wind and the city that woke up more and more. Just like life in the apartment.

I could hear the clinking of glasses before the sliding door squeaked softly, revealing that I was no longer alone. Slowly I opened my eyes and saw Jessi next to me. Without a word, she held out a glass of orange juice to me while she treated herself to a coffee.

"Admittedly, I can understand why you love the city. In the morning, she has something calming. Quieter than our village and with a good 10 times as many inhabitants," she laughed, "How are you? After the not-so-nice weekend."

"Go, I'm more worried about Daniel. He's alone, his new acquaintance doesn't think it's necessary to show up," I admitted my thoughts. I spoke to him briefly in private yesterday because he didn't really want too many people to know about his new flame. But I had to talk to someone. I also thought Jessi would be the best option to take care of him. She had learned to take care of babies, which was no different than taking care of a Formula 1 driver.

She sighed, "Give me his address and I'll go to him. He really shouldn't be alone." I smiled at her in gratitude before we both took a sip and looked down towards the sea.

"Who would have thought," she began again, "that one day we would end up in Monaco." I had to grin to myself too. Although we hadn't lacked contacts from professional athletes, we probably wouldn't have dared to dream of it even a year ago.

"Monaco is known for its passion for ice hockey," I said ironically. It was funny considering how we ended up here. Both of us had lost people we were supposed to love. We both loved ice hockey and were now in a country that didn't think much of it. At least no team had. It was as if we had created a completely new life and a new person here.

"Of course," she responded to my comment, "that's why people still walk around in winter jackets at 18 degrees. Just because they're fans." At the same time, we turned our heads towards each other and started laughing. Even though I knew that Jessi couldn't stay here forever, I wished it would stay that way forever. With her, I felt less lonely in a foreign country.

I guess we both enjoyed each other's presence, because we just looked out to sea without another word. The sun had crept out from behind the mountain and was reflecting on the water again.

"I'm gone," I turned to the door, startled. But I could only see my friend walking from this path towards the front door. Puzzled and a little perplexed, I looked at the blonde next to me. Who, unsuspectingly, raised her shoulders briefly.

So, I hurried to the interior of the apartment: "Where to? It's only eight o'clock?" For Max, this time was 5 o'clock, as for others. Formula 1 drivers were not early risers and certainly not on a Tuesday after a race weekend.

"Surprise", with that he was gone.

"I hate surprises," I shouted after him anyway. Only he either hadn't heard it or didn't want to hear it. Slightly frustrated by the end of our conversation, I turned back to the slider. My best friend stepped through it.

She placed her empty cup on the braids facing the kitchen and also walked in the direction of the apartment door: "I'll go then."

"Where to", only when I had said it, I realized how stupid my question was. After all, I had just asked her to be a babysitter for Ricciardo.