Chapter 120

For the first time this season, I had a good feeling about the race. Max had secured second place in qualifying yesterday, starting alongside Lewis Hamilton. I hoped so much for Max that he would win. It would be good for him and the sport if Mercedes didn't always win.

"And how does Max feel? Did you let him sleep well so that he was ready for the race?", Ralf wanted to know from me. On the other hand, I put my bag on the floor before settling down in my chair.

"He's in good spirits," I admitted, "and even if it's none of your business, but there's no sport for him before a race." I was too afraid of Christian and Helmut for that, who would probably cut me one short if we did other sports before a race.

He raised his hands defensively: "I didn't want to know exactly. But you look a little tired." I also hadn't slept as well as Max, because I was probably already too nervous about tomorrow's appointment.

"I have an examination tomorrow where we will most likely find out the gender," I explained, "Somehow it makes me nervous, even though I don't really care about the gender."

"A lie," I looked at my colleague in confusion.

"Everyone has a wish," he explained to himself, "no one would admit it, but everyone has a wish for the sex of their child. Of course, in the end you are happy no matter what it is, the main thing is healthy, but you still have your tendencies. When you introduce yourself and Max in a year's time, will they be boys or girls?"

I tried to imagine a picture in my head before I gave him an answer: "Boys." Even though I didn't like to say it, somehow, I couldn't imagine girls, maybe because Max always talked about two boys.

"You see. Your subconscious mind has already decided on a gender that it wants for the babies," if only it were that simple. I can't choose the gender.

At the same time, I was also afraid of Max's reaction if there were girls: "What if they were girls?"

"You'll be happy about it; wife and Max will deal with it, he loves you. Then there will be two female racers, that'll be fine," he said casually. But I knew Max would be disappointed.

"We bet," I told him, «He on boys and I on girls, the winner gets to choose the family car."

He had to laugh slightly: "Then I'm hoping for girls, then you can choose a total family car and make it really girly, with pink paintwork. I'd love to see Max in a car like that." Even though it was tempting, I wouldn't do it, after all, I had to drive around with it, and it would be too embarrassing for me.

"I thought of him as a simple and inconspicuous family car, we don't have to stand out any more than we already do," I explained my way of thinking.

"I see," came from the German, "but it would be funny."

I also had to grin: "I can ask RedBull if they can give him a pink car for a weekend." In fact, I really liked my idea myself and I made notes in my mind to talk about it with Christian.

"We should get ready for the race, otherwise you'll miss out on your Dutchman's victory," I nodded in agreement. We briefly checked a microphone and headphones so that the technology would work when it was our turn. After that, we quickly went through some data together and it was our turn for the race.

Max had a bad start and dropped back to fourth place; his teammate had also lost places. Inside I was annoyed, but on the outside, I tried not to let it show. My job was to remain neutral and that's what I would do. Even if the private Hanna was just really annoyed about the bad start of her boyfriend.

Fortunately, Max passed Kimi for third place just one lap later. I was happy to see the Finn up there as a Swiss, but I was even happier that my boyfriend was able to fight his way up and now chase the Mercedes drivers. Since Perez was still out on the same lap and brought a safety car with him, everyone went into the pits, unfortunately it didn't bring any advantage for Max. Why couldn't Mercedes make a bad pit stop?