Chapter 23

As expected, Laurent arrived on time half an hour later than planned. Since there was also a lot of traffic on the short distance, we needed five minutes longer, which is not bad. It hadn't been quite eight o'clock when I checked in and just had to go through the security checkpoint. Laurent accompanied me to the first barrier, so that I would certainly find the way, even though I probably already knew it by heart. At least up to the gates.

"Watch out for you and if the Dutchman doesn't come, he's not worth it. In any case, we're just a push of a button away, you know, don't you?" I nodded thankfully. Before I disappeared behind the barrier, I had hugged the hockey player.

I couldn't get used to anything, the security check. Even though I knew I had nothing forbidden about me, I was afraid of it every time. Until now, I had always been lucky and was not taken out for control, but today I had to be scanned once. Of course, I had nothing with me, and it was just a sample, but my heartbeat really fast. As fast as it had come, however, it lay down again, and I could wait relaxed for boarding.

The flight was like all other flights as well, long and without events as I slept or worked. Whether it was due to the Swiss passport or not, the control in China went very fast, and I could now confidently wait for my suitcase.

"That's probably the stupid thing I've heard about scheduled flights," I jumped a bit forward in horror. I was so busy with my phone and waiting that I hadn't noticed the Monaco group. It was Daniel who had put himself close behind me and had frightened with his words. He could barely hold himself with laughter, Charles just shook his head and Max looked stubbornly in a different direction. This gave me a stab in the heart, which I didn't want to be noticed, so I quickly looked back to Dan.

He grabbed himself again and put an arm around my shoulder: "Sorry, that was too tempting. Do you need help?" I shook my head because he couldn't help me unless he could conjure up my suitcase.

"All good with you? Have seen the picture of your car, looks violent", the car had really broken. So that no repair was possible, at least one that would be worth it. Buying a new car was the cheaper option, but I probably wouldn't need one for the next few months. I didn't know how long I had to hand over the ID, but probably long enough.

I just nodded: "The doctor thought I had had a few guardian angels, so I could escape somewhat soled. While bruised ribs and slingshot trauma are not pleasant, let alone from my right hand. But my car got a lot more, it probably won't survive, the injuries are too severe." Charles and Daniel nodded approvingly; Max looked at me expressionlessly. Otherwise, these ocean blue eyes had always had a glimmer, but today there was no gloss to watch.

"Better the car than you, you just have to buy a new one," Daniel said of himself. All I could do was nod to it, because he was right. You can buy a new car, but you can't buy a new life. We couldn't talk about it because the boys were recognized by fans. Smiling, I watched the three of them make the fans happy. While the three were busy, I waited for my suitcase to arrive. Just when he was in front of me and I wanted to lift him down despite his hand bruised, Charles came before me. For a second I had only hoped that Max had come to my aid, but he preferred to continue to deal with fans. Daniel had briefly seen us before taking pictures.

I thanked me and wanted to take my suitcase again, but Charles shook his head: "I can do this too, after all you should be sure to spare yourself." The Monacan was really sweet and nice, but it wasn't Max. In me I had hoped that the Dutchman would be my knight in need, not Charles. But I had probably really stunned Max, which in turn made me feel bad. Inside, I began to doubt whether the Dutchman would come to the restaurant tomorrow night. Victoria thought he was going to come for sure, So I wasn't sure now.

'He's hurt because you just didn't report it anymore. Give in time, so he can calm down," I was surprised to see Monacan. I think he noticed my look that was on the Red Bull driver. As obvious as I was staring, a blind person would have noticed.

Slightly sad I looked at Charles, because I really lacked the closeness of Max: "Do you think he calmed down until tomorrow evening. His sister helped me plan a date. But now I'm afraid that he's going to let me sit.' The Ferrari driver smiled cheerfully at me and put a hand on my shoulder.

'If he did what he did, he'd be really stupid. Max is totally forfeited to you, otherwise your rejection would not put him like that, he would never let you sit. But I hope you have finally decided, because I don't want to have to rebuild my friend after every race because you ignore him again," I quickly nodded. This time there was no going back, because my heart probably wouldn't survive this either, because his cold looks were like stabbings.

With suitcases, we closed the few meters to the other riders: "Do you have to wait for your team?" I shook my head because I could also send Thomas a message and then meet with them at the hotel. That's how we would do it, because Dan's hotel was still in the same street, and he was ready to take me with him. As always, the drivers had got cars available, because today was a day off, and they could also explore the area.

During the ride, Daniel and I cheerfully shouted the lyrics to the songs on the radio. You really couldn't call it singing anymore, because we tried to be louder than the other and didn't hit a single note, but it's fun. So, the longest car ride seemed like only five minutes, in real life it was a good half hour.

"We meet right now for dinner, do you come with us?" the Australian asked me. Since I was starving, and we didn't have to do anything from Sky today, I said yes. Daniel hugged me with pleasure and thought he would be back in an hour. Before I could say anything else, he had already left, and I was standing alone with my suitcase in front of the hotel.

Determined, I took my suitcase in my healthy hand and went to the hotel reception. A young Chinese woman greeted me kindly, who gave me my room key after some forms and details. With this I set off to the elevators, fortunately I was alone. If I didn't like something, it was to be in an elevator with strangers. It always felt so weird, why can't I explain.

The hotel room was very small but was enough more than just for the little time I would spend there. I left my suitcase next to my bed and only took fresh things in my hand with which I disappeared into the bathroom. After almost a day on a plane, I just have to take a shower, otherwise I felt disgusting. In addition, I always flew in jogging gear on such long distances, and so I didn't want to walk around the city.

Freshly showered and discreetly made-up, we went down to the hotel with my bag, where I had to wait a short moment before Daniel's Renault drove off again. He also wore different clothes, but the mood was still the same and so the ride could only be funny.

"Where are we going?" I asked the driver. He had casually placed an arm on the car window as he drove more or less through the streets of Shanghai. The more we came into the interior of the city, the less we could call it driving, but we had time.

At the next red light, he briefly looked at me: "We wanted to go to the market so that we could still experience something cultural. Then let's see where we're headed." I didn't know if I really wanted to go to a market. You always hear a lot that would be sold in such places. Just thinking about a dog or a cat could choke me, even if I had nothing in my stomach.

"Is Max there too?" the Australian nodded cautiously. In fact, this question was superfluous, of course the Dutchman would also be there. I could only hope that he didn't ignore me as he did at the airport. I deserved his behavior all the time, but it hurt my heart. Worse than being separated from a person at km was to be with her, but not to be close to her. But not to see his accidental touches or just to feel his closeness where torture.

Daniel had to concentrate before another red light stopped him: "What happened between you and Max, he was so funny at the airport. Normally he couldn't take his eyes off you and now everything was more interesting. Your question sounded more like you were hoping he wouldn't be there." I was a bit surprised the Australian didn't know. While it was good somewhere, I was able to tell Daniel my point of view without him being biased.

"We had a date in Bahrain on Saturdays, he picked me up and Sandra saw him. She told me this the next day and I panicked. It's hard enough as a woman to get a job like this, and it's my dream job, I don't want to lose it. I was so panicked that I forgot Max's feelings. When I wanted to reply to the news of Sunday evening on Wednesday, I couldn't because everything I wanted to write didn't seem right to me. When I sent him a photo of my contract, there was no answer. After my accident came only a short and unemotional message, usually he always writes back immediately and then also a novel. I know I deserve his reaction, but it hurts. Being in the same place with him and seeing his dismissive looks are worse than all the pain in the accident. For tomorrow night Victoria helped me organize a date, but I don't think he'll come. Even if Charles said something else," the Australian still looked on the street, somewhat overwhelmed.

It probably took him a moment to process everything: "Wow, you've probably got a lot of things. But if you explain it to him, He will surely be able to understand you. But next time, maybe you'd better talk to him about it if you're scared than just ignore him. But I see it like Charles, Max will come, even if he is still angry. He would fly to the moon himself to be with you." I didn't know that seriously, but I was happy about it. Sure, he had to make some jokes in the end, but he had really built me up.

In a car park, the Australian paused: "It's best to take something to his side and explain what was going on. But be careful, press could be lurking anywhere or fans. So, it's better not to get too close or start arguing." I hadn't thought of the press or fans at all, which I could probably see from my face.

"If you want, I could drive you to the restaurant tomorrow and Charles with Max, then it doesn't look like a date, but a meeting among friends," I looked at him thankfully. It was really nice how he and Charles wanted to help, but first I had to get Max to go on a date with me.