Chapter 60

The food had been perfect and luckily Grandma hadn't talked about mine or Max his job anymore. I was sure she didn't like his job either, just the financial security it brought. Not that she wanted his money, but it was important to her that the partners of the grandchildren had enough chapters of their own.

It had been a short night when Max and I really wanted to find out if the sex got better when you're 20. Whether it was old or not, but the sex had been douzie.

Halfway asleep, I noticed the mattress moving, so I turned to Max. He had sat down sleepy and was probably just as not awake as I was. Because he just sat there and rubbed his eyes. I was still lying down and enjoyed seeing Max's muscular back.

But the more awake I became, the worse I felt. Since I didn't want to get up, I tried to breathe, but it didn't help. With a jerk I jumped up and ran into the bathroom, but I didn't have time to close the door properly.
Just in time I had reached the bowl of the toilet and the mousse of the previous evening made his comeback, probably I had probably not tolerated this, because even after further choking, nothing came.
Exhausted, I pressed the rinse and got up, and Max noticed in the doorway, "Put yourself in bed, I'll tell Thomas right downstairs." I shook my head, I certainly wouldn't go back to bed. Because the nausea was already much better, and I didn't feel sick.

"I just couldn't tolerate the mousse, all max. I'm fine, really," I promised him. I really didn't feel bad, maybe I should pay attention to what I still eat in the evening. But you can probably treat yourself to something on his 20th birthday, even if this one had unfortunately landed in the toilet.

Max came off the door frame and put a hand on my forehead: "No idea if you have a fever, but I think you should stay in bed. You have just handed yourself in and are still quite pale."

"I'm doing really well, it was just the mousse. Don't worry, it's all good. I want to cheer you on when you're going to go over the track like a rocket today," he looked at me undecided. He saw that I told him the truth and felt good. But he didn't want to take a risk that I wasn't doing so well.

Inside, he probably struggled with himself: "Well, but if you give yourself again, you return to bed. Promised?" I nodded only because I didn't want to discuss with him, and I felt magnificent, apart from the nasty taste of my in my mouth.

On the other hand, I did something first and brushed my teeth under the strict supervision of my friend. Made-up and with open hair, I quickly put on the work clothes. Max had not left me out of sight for a second, which made me turn my eyes.

"I'm not collapsing, I promise you that everything is fine. Concentrate on the race, so I can cheer you on from below," I stood right in front of him. His eyes, however, also radiated concern after my words, so I resorted to my last resort. Without hesitation, I put my lips on his, but Max stopped me pretty quickly.

My hands were still on his chest and he held me by the hips, but our lips stopped touching: "Is everything as good as in your family? Why did you never tell me that your grandmother treats you like this? Don't deny it to Hanna, I've understood everything. Your looks and body language have told me everything, but why haven't you told me before? I would never have invited her if I had known."

'It's complicated, it's not always like that, just when it hits certain issues. If she doesn't think about what I do professionally, then we can also have carefree minutes. I have a healed family and I shouldn't complain that they want the best. It seemed wrong to tell you about it because you wanted a healed family," I tried to explain myself.

Max took his right hand from my hip and put it under my chin: "Just because your parents are together doesn't mean you can't have family problems. Every family has their problems and that's okay. But you should have told me, i wouldn't have invited her, not on your birthday."

"Can we discuss this tonight? We should really get going, otherwise it won't be anything with the victory", because of my vomiting we were already close. In addition, I wanted to think calmly about how I could make Max's family situation clear. Because it wasn't easy, because I loved my family, even if they didn't know the word support.

Max didn't really want to give in, but he knew I was right, and we had to go, "Tonight, promised?" I just nodded because he didn't give me any choice. As my friend, he also had the right to ask me about my family. Even though I liked to make a happy family. Who also liked to admit problems in the family, because they always wanted to protect the dearest people.

Max and I left together, my team was no longer there. They knew I was going to ride with Max, I was grateful to them. Because even though I never wanted to see it, I was scared. Fear that it was the last time I would see Max. In recent years, the sport may have become safer, but there was no real security anywhere. So I had to reckon with the fact that Max might not get out of his car himself.

"What do you think?" my friend asked me. I waved off and didn't think it was important, but he remained stubborn. So I told him about my fears, and it felt liberating to be allowed.

Max looked at me in a comprehensible way: "I can't promise you that I'll be back in the box, no one can. But I will do everything I can to make it happen. Finally, I want to be world champion and see you in a white dress in front of me."

"Should this be a motion?" I tried to ease the mood. In fact, I succeeded, because we both smiled at each other. Nevertheless, the uncertainty was still great and hovered over us like a dark cloud.

Max parked the car and looked over at me: "You deserve a better application and I promise you'll get it if you least expect it." If Max wanted to, he could be really romantic, but I didn't want a request yet. At just 20, I didn't want to tie myself up, even though I wanted to be with him forever. A wedding didn't feel right, just like a family of my own, because I was almost a child myself.

I quickly gave Max another kiss, even if photographers saw us, they should take pictures of us. Even though I didn't understand why it was so exciting to photograph myself and Max all the time. We looked no different today than we did yesterday.

Hand in hand we went to the Red Bull building, as I was still trying to get a can of my elixir of life: "Well slept? 20 is really, good to you." We greeted Jos, who sat at a table with my family and drank coffee. Neither my mother nor my grandma were there.

"Now my father is already flirting with my girlfriend," it came grimly played by the Dutchman next to me. But we could only laugh at it because we knew he wasn't serious.

"That wasn't flirting," Jos told his son, "that was a nice compliment, maybe you should try." Max twisted his eyes and dropped on a chair, but I stopped. Because I didn't really have time, because I was certainly already waiting for the commentators.

I first looked at Jos and then to my dad: "Thank you, Jos. Where are Mum and Grandma?" Actually, I could already think of the answer, but I wanted to hear it from Dad. I could understand that my friends were nit here, because they were always late and liked to sleep long. So they would come just before the start of the race, but they would be there. My grandma and mum probably don't.

"Grandma wanted to go to the city and to the sea, your mother accompanies her. After the race, i'll come here at some point," I just nodded. I just swallowed the lump in my neck and smiled. The men shouldn't see how much it pained me that she'd rather be in town than be here.

I looked at my phone and did something stressed: "I have to go, otherwise I'll be late. Have fun with you and you good luck. Please come into the box in one piece." Max briefly pressed my hand, because he was probably still thinking about the conversation of the previous day and wanted to give me security. I pressed a kiss on his lips and tried to enjoy it as much as I could. I could also forget the pain caused by my grandma a little.

Unfortunately, I had to get away from him before I disappeared I still got a can of the energy. Max and my father just shook their heads, but I just waved goodbye to them. I would probably drink less energy in the future, but you didn't have to start right away. In addition, I just needed one in the morning, otherwise I would fall asleep in front of the monitors.

I enjoyed drinking my beloved energy drink as I walked to the press room and rushed straight up to our cabin. For once, I was there in front of Ralf, because I had almost fled the Red Bull building. I was always considered the strong and confident with my parents, while my brother preferred to hide behind them. They had always worried enough about him, I didn't want to do more for them. So I kept this facade upright and didn't show that my grandma had hurt me.

"Huh, already there. I thought you were going to sleep today. All good with you, you look so pale?" I just nodded. Apart from my emotional pain, I felt normal again, maybe a little tired, but otherwise everything was fine.

Ralf was satisfied with this and sat down next to me: "I just saw your friends, they look even worse than you. Seems like they celebrated your birthday more than you did." He seemed to be amused by this realization and admitted to me, because I could only introduce my friends too well. Since there was just a summer break, the boys probably took advantage of the fact that they were allowed to drink alcohol and Jessi was always at the front at parties.

"Mick didn't do so well yesterday, did he? I haven't seen him yet, but is he good to talk about it or should I leave him alone?" as everyone else dealt with bad results, I wanted to ask Ralf before I saw Mick. Not that I would visit the boy, but most of the time you run over the way somewhere over the weekend.

Ralf leaned back in his chair: "Not as planned, but he knows that setbacks keep coming. With his head he is already in today's sprint race. What else is left, you have to tick it off and look forward."
"Apropos looking forward", on the headphones we could hear the usual countdown. So we both turned to the screens and prepared for a hopefully exciting race.

Shortly you could see my family and friend at Red Bull, which made me smile. Immediately, however, I felt a little pain in my heart, because my mother and grandma were not there. Mum had probably gone with Grandma rather, so that she was not alone. At the time of her 80s, she was no longer the youngest and in a strange city it was probably better if Mum was with her. Even if the two were able to get along well, there were moments when they understood each other well.

The race wasn't really exciting, because Mercedes do what they always did. They dominated the race. Only that Max managed to climb to the podium. Professional as I was, I commented on it like everyone else. Inside, however, I made leaps and could hardly hold back. At least one joyful event this weekend.