Chapter 85

"Well, how did the weekend go?" Jos asked us. He and Sandy had just returned home from their wellness weekend. Together we were just sitting in the living room, but Max and I would drive right away.

Just as Max was about to answer, Sandy noticed the plush dog in Jason's cot: "As I see, there were probably difficulties when shopping." Luckily for us, she just laughed and Jos also grinned, because he probably knew on whom his crap had grown with the dog.

"Actually, everything was great, I only gave the dog out of brotherhood", my left eyebrow went up. Because everyone knew that it had nothing to do with brotherhood. Luckily for him, Sandy let it stay that way.

Took a closer look: "That's why Hanna had to take over the night shifts. But that's probably in the family, Jos never gets up."

"When I don't hear him," came synchronously from the men. Sandy and I both just raised our left eyebrow as we couldn't believe you couldn't hear the screaming.

Immediately I wondered if this was my future: "Hanna and I should start slowly, we still have to get their things to Switzerland." With that, I had landed from the future back into the present. But no matter what time I was in my thoughts, it was always scary. Only we flew to Switzerland at my request, but I really wanted to get the last things out of my parents' apartment and see my friends.

"Do you think this is a good idea," Jos began, "You should still spare yourself, Hanna. An encounter with your parents will certainly not be good for you and the little ones." No matter how much I wished I didn't feel that way, I hoped to be able to look my family in the eye one last time. Inside, I knew I would be disappointed, but I hoped they would change their minds. I was her daughter and sister.

I put on a false smile: "We just go in quickly and get the last boxes, and they're on holiday in Greece." I said the last part only to reassure him, because my family would be at home. Even though it might have been better to wait another two weeks until they were really on vacation, I just had to see my family one more time.

"Do you really want the things that remind you of them?" my friend's father followed. He looked very worried, as he was probably afraid that these items would always keep open the wound that my family had given me.

"Jos," Sandy escaped, "Of course she wants to get her stuff. Just because her family are assholes doesn't mean she has to throw away her childhood. It's part of her and she should have the opportunity to remember that time." The smile I gave her was real. I was grateful to her that she seemed to understand me. Because Max had only reacted like his father and there had been a little argument until my friend had given in. Because he was afraid that I would collapse in pain because we didn't agree.

"I take care of my family," it came from him. He still didn't look happy with it, only he had bowed to my wish and was now trying to make the best of it. But I was afraid of how he would react to my family. He could hardly contain his anger and he was angry at those who were once my family.

Sandy stood up first: "Then we shouldn't stop you any longer, thank you for babysitting and you will do a great job with the two little ones. Just take care of yourselves." She hugged me before I could go to Jos. Who carefully embraced me as if I were made of glass.

"Listen to Max for once, he's just doing it to protect you. He loves you," I easily broke away from my almost father-in-law. So I could look him in the eye again, which watched me closely, as if he was expecting a freak out. Only I had no strength for it, so I just nodded and meant it. I didn't know what to expect in my home country, only I knew that Max would protect me.

Somehow we managed to break away from Jos and Sandy and get into the car: "Really all good with you? We don't have to go there, your friends had offered to get the stuff for you."