Chapter 106

Contrary to what I wanted; I was not allowed out of the hospital despite positive results. So, I had to stay there all Saturday, the only good thing was Daniel. Even though I wanted nothing more than to go back to the paddock and do my job, at least I wasn't alone this time, unlike in Montreal.

We also had non-stop visits, Max was with us every second he could, as well as my best friend and the Italian, whom I would also call a close friend.

"If I can't get out tomorrow and can at least fly home on Monday, then they can experience something. It's worse in here than in a prison," I grumbled when I got bad news again on Saturday night. I just didn't get it; I was fine and so were the little ones.

Daniel, on the other hand, stared at the TV turned off: "They just don't want to take any risks because you're pregnant and Max would probably make their lives hell if something happened to one of you."

I was pretty much at my wit's end; the food was bad, and you couldn't really sleep here either. If the nurse didn't wake you up, Daniel was snoring quite loudly. Max, on the other hand, was just holy.

"My qualifying wasn't that bad," it came from the door, "that there must be such a bad atmosphere here. You can also rest assured, Daniel. Your replacement starts from 14, so no danger to your seat." Without realizing it, a smile immediately crept onto my lips. All day I had been waiting for my boyfriend to finally come.

"I didn't either. But it's difficult to be in a good mood in here when you can't sleep or eat," I could only nod in agreement. I also knew that he hadn't heard of his flame since our little accident. Which made her a little more unsympathetic to me and made Daniel feel insecure. Yes, even a Daniel Ricciardo could become insecure when it came to a woman.

Max quickly slapped Daniel to greet him properly before he came to me. Carefully, he gave me a kiss and stroked the small base of my belly. Before he sat down on the edge of my bed and looked at his friend.

He had taken my hand: "I actually wanted to bring you something, but something got in the way." I raised an eyebrow, as I would have loved to know what had come to him.

"I got a call. Your accident, it wasn't really an accident. So somehow yes, only it was brought about on purpose. The brakes were cut," unlike Daniel, I wasn't surprised. He had turned pale, and his mouth was open while I tried to smile encouragingly at Max. I could only imagine what was going on in his head, so I wanted to calm him down. In the end, I was fine and so was Daniel, more or less. Of course, he would rather be on the track, but he was alive and had no serious injuries.

Still beside him, Daniel tried to sort out his thoughts somehow: "Who? Why? That doesn't make sense, does it? I think it would have been much more effective to sabotage my race car for the race or qualifying than one for a March shoot."

"Because it wasn't against you," I beat Max to it, "It was supposed to hit me and probably most of all the two in me. It's not Dilara's first attempt to harm me and the twins. She leaked the pregnancy with the knowledge of what it would trigger and the hope that I would have a miscarriage and break up with Max."

"Your ex?" he looked at Max, "But why would she do that to you? You've been separated from her for almost a year, haven't you?" He definitely seemed overwhelmed with the information and probably didn't know how to deal with it.

Max just nodded before he found his words again: "She also tried several times to get me to separate. Telling myself that I'm not going to be a good father and that I'd better leave. Just on Wednesday at a sponsor's dinner, she had tried again. Even kissed me."

"Sick" it escaped the Australian. I guess we couldn't agree more, because there was probably no other word for them. At least I couldn't find one that would suit her, she was just sick and disturbed.