Chapter 104

When I opened my eyes again, Max was sitting on a chair to my right, holding my hand. Only his body was turned away from me in the direction of the door. I heard him talking to someone. But since I couldn't turn my head, I couldn't see who it was at first. It was only when I could hear the other voice well that I took my breath away.

"Daniel?" I asked into the room and was forced to continue looking at the wall opposite me. It must have looked pretty funny, but none of us felt like laughing.

"Hanna," he replied, "I'm so sorry. I don't know how that could have happened, the brakes just didn't work anymore." I would have liked to shake my head and look him in the eye, but I couldn't do it with the ruff.

So all I could do was look at the white wall: "You didn't do anything wrong. I have to thank you, you saved the babies' lives. Without you, I wouldn't be pregnant anymore and God knows what else would have happened. I'm more sorry that you won't be able to race this weekend."

"Not for that, I'd rather not drive than lose my godson," I could hear his typical grin in his voice. I never thought I'd ever love this as much as I did at that moment. I was afraid never to hear it again, so it was all the nicer to hear the laughter again so quickly.

Max was probably sitting pretty much in the middle of our beds, because he had to stretch out his arm to hold my hand. Carefully, he put some pressure on my hand to give me support. Because just the thought of what could have happened made the anger against Dilara rise immeasurably.

"Who says," I also followed with a laugh on my lips, "that there will be two boys? You can't tell gender yet." Actually, I could have saved myself this question, because the answer was actually already clear to me.

"Believe me, I just know. You're more parents of boys than girls. Two guys just look better on you," he tried to protect his best friend. But I knew for sure that Max had probably put this bug in his ear. Since he was afraid to have a daughter or even two.

Although I really liked the thought of Max holding our daughters in his arms and scaring little boys away: "No matter what they become, the main thing is that they are doing well." Max clarified, but I could imagine him making it clear to Daniel with a glance that they should be boys.

"Are you still pain?", I changed the subject. I already had a guilty conscience that he was hurt because of me. Even if you shouldn't blame anyone wrongly, I was almost 100% sure that Dilara was to blame for the accident. So somewhere me and Max too, even if we couldn't be responsible for her thoughts and deeds. We were the trigger for these crazy actions.

It remained silent for a moment: "I'm fine, my ribs hurt, but nothing I couldn't stand." I myself knew the pain all too well, which is why I could sympathize. All the worse I felt guilty.

"I don't want to disturb," an unknown voice sounded from the door of the room, "but the visiting time is over and the two need rest." I squeezed Max's hand tightly. He shouldn't go, I was afraid that his ex might do something to him too. She had pulled Daniel in with it, so she probably wouldn't stop at Max either.

"The nurse is right, you need rest. I'll be back tomorrow after the second training session. You are in the best hands here. Daniel is taking care of you," Max tried to reassure me. Since the monitor had indicated that my heartbeat had accelerated. Only he had misinterpreted it, I was not afraid for myself, but for HIM.

When my mouth was already open, I closed it again. Something inside me didn't allow me to tell him what was really going on in my head. Probably the presence of the unknown nurse. So I squeezed his hand one more time before releasing it.

Before leaving, he pressed a light kiss on my forehead: "Sleep well and recover." I kept my eyes closed because I enjoyed his touch and wanted to keep the feeling of his warmth.