Chapter 17

Around 12 o'clock we had arrived at the site from the racetrack and the sun was already burning like hell. Since we still had enough time, I got an ice cream, we had already eaten in the hotel, but there was no dessert there.

Happy I walked over the terrain with my water ice as Christian Horner crossed my way, I greeted him kindly. Shortly we both stopped and talked, this was a stupid mistake by me. Lando had abused my carelessness to get apart from my ice. A large piece had been broken off and remained in his mouth. I had noticed this with big eyes, but I didn't know what to say. Christian like others who had seen it could only laugh.

"Lando Norris, you nasty little ice thief," I scolded the Briton. He smiled at me as well as he could with the ice cream in his mouth. For this he also got a playful blow to the shoulder, which obviously did not hurt, as he was still laughing.

Since Christian was in a hurry, because I had stopped him a little too long, he said goodbye to us, which I only noticed by the way. My attention was focused on Lando I was still killing with my eyes while I was thinking about whether I still wanted to eat the ice cream. I'm not really sensitive to things like that when I know the other person, which is why I kept my ice cream.

When the Briton had his mouth free from my ice, he smiled at me even biger: "If you want, I'll buy you a new one later after training or qualifying, but unfortunately I have to go." Before he went away, he took my ice cream again. Now I saw on my ice that actually only consisted of the wooden stick with some ice around.

"It's nice to see that they didn't take you off. It would be a real pity if you didn't really promote your talent," I looked on, slightly terrified. In front of me, there was no one else than Mister Verstappen. I quickly wiped my hand-off, so it wasn't so sticky anymore from the ice.

Even though it probably hadn't gotten any better, I briefly shaked his hand of courtesy: "I'm also happy to see you again. I hope her son is fine again, Max told me about it." The father of Max looked at me a little surprised, but only now I realized what I had said. A slight laugh, however, immediately showed up at If Verstappen off and I was embarrassed. He probably knew his son well enough to know that he hadn't just told me that out of a normal conversation. So, Mr. Verstappen was clear that there was something going on. He hadn't been blind and had already seen his son being thrown off course when he saw me during the interview. Parents knew their children well enough to know what was going on in their children.

"He's fine again, was the appendix that had become inflamed. However, it can run around again and play with his little brother," I reply If "I hope you see yourself more often." He gave me a hand to say goodbye before he disappeared towards Red Bull, and I was alone again. But I had to go slowly to my cabin as the last training was coming up. Just at the thought of the cabin, my sweat gland increased the production of the sweat.

Armed with four water bottles, I dropped in my seat and grabbed my documents from my backpack. My records also included statistics on each individual driver and their results so far in Bahrain, even from the Rookies. Then, of course, the notes from the previous day and other information about the teams and the track.

That Ralf came in, I only noticed on the sidelines: "Already busy with statistics?" I nodded only as I was looking at the results from the Rookies from last year and there had Lando but won in Formula 2 a year ago on the track. Alex had narrowly missed the podium with 4th place and George had finished fifth behind him.

As it looked, it looked like a year in Formula One, Ferrari seemed to be very much on this track. A year ago, Vettel won Raikkonen And Bottas, second, probably wouldn't be able to compete for the win this year. For this, Leclerc was at the forefront and seemed to Teammate to annoy.

With this know I could now wait relaxed until the countdown was counted down, and we were live again on TV: "Also from Ralf and me a warm welcome back from the sunny warm Bahrain. It is a summery Saturday with 26 °C here in the Kingdom of Bahrain, good conditions for one last training session and later qualifying. Or what do you mean Ralf?"

Even if it was a bit rude, I only listened to him with one ear, since the first cars were already driving on the track: "That's how we got the first driver, Alex Albon. A year ago, he missed the podium in Formula 2 by a place. How much can formula 2 be compared to Formula 1?" Just when Ralf wanted to answer, Leclerc slipped the rear again in turn 4.

"We saw that yesterday in the first training session? It was the same curve if I wasn't wrong," I commented on what happened. Ralf agreed with me, but immediately explained that this would probably be because of the still too little warm tires.

Unlike Charles's tires, I was definitely more than warm: "The tires are probably alone, because I'm quite warm. How do you perceive this as a driver yourself during a training session and later in qualifying and racing?" While Ralf was now explaining, I had briefly muted my microphone so that I could drink.

"But there was also Giovianazzi once the ass slipped away, it seems to be the only thing we get to see today. We don't want accidents, but it's not really exciting. Ferrari continue to dominate with more than half a second clear ahead of Hamilton and Bottas. The Again are half a second before Grosjean, surprisingly, but is Verstappen in 8th place. If you don't get serious about the third practice session at Red Bull and went on safely for later qualifying?", I took my look from the monitors and looked at Ralf instead. Since I was actually only driven into the box, I was confidently able to do this.

When Ralf was done, it was up to me to hand over the ball directly to Sandra this time: "It was the first time we were both of us, but for you back home it goes a little further with Sandra. She was able to claw her way to Max Verstappen, we will return with the qualifying at 4pm. Until then, have fun with Sandra and agree to the trainings and the track."

This allowed me and Schumacher to take off their headphones and escape from the sauna. Just in the end it had become unbearable for me, because the sun shone directly in my face. But outside it wasn't really better, so I was looking for a shade place. It was the tree of the previous day again, so I didn't expect anyone to help me.

I had closed my eyes slightly: "Badly slept?" Slowly I opened my eyes so as not to be blinded by individual rays of sunshine. A little in front of me was the Dutch racer with his bottle in his hand. I had actually slept quite badly because our conversation had always shot me through my head and ripped me out of my sleep.

I shrugged my shoulders: 'I didn't sleep well either. If it's probably because of the warmth, I don't think we're used to that again." I could only imagine that it wasn't the warmth with him either, but I just nodded again. Carefully Max had sat down next to me on the tree and touched my shoulder slightly. But unlike usual, I didn't distance myself from him. I was too sluggish for that at the moment and it felt damn good.

"Have you talked to your friend; does she dare to listen to her heart?" he suddenly wanted to know from the silence of me. So that I didn't have to look at him, I kept my eyes closed. We both knew it wasn't a friend, but none of us wanted to lay the cards openly. The fear of being rejected was still there, even if it was actually obvious what was going on between us.

I bit my lips for a short while, because I was unsure what to say: 'She doesn't know if she can and will take such a risk. She hardly knows the man." My voice was very quiet because I was so insecure.

"How does she want to get to know him when she always goes at a distance. Life is full of risk; people always find a reason to kick. If she loses her job, she should just look for a new employer who appreciates her more," Max had carefully touched my right hand with his left hand. Shortly the Dutchman was afraid that I would take them away from him, but I just enjoyed the touches too much.

Blinking, I opened my eyes and turned my head to the right: "Have you never been afraid to lose your job because of the press?" Often you could not read such nice articles about him. It was considered one of the largest Womanizer from Formula One, which made it even more difficult for me to assess. If I took the risk, I wanted to be sure that he really wanted to try. Even though his intentions looked clear at the moment, I simply didn't know enough about the driver to assess him properly.

"I know what I can do, and Red Bull knows it too. For my team, what matters first and foremost is what happens on the track, my private life doesn't matter to them, as far as it doesn't affect my performance. As long as you know your talent and are convinced of you, there is always a way, no matter what who writes about you or us," I just looked at him. I didn't even notice that he used me directly for the first time and not a friend as a synonym. I was too busy with his blue eyes and the fact that he had come closer to me.

His head was just a few centimeters away from me when he paused: "May I prove to you that this is worth the risk between us?" His voice was just a hint, but I understood him too well. We had completely forgotten that we were still on the premises and with us other journalists. Basically, I couldn't think of anything at all, which is why I quietly answered in the affirmative.

Before I knew exactly what was happening to me, his lips were very soft, as if he was afraid, I could break off his lips with too much pressure. My lips were tingling, and the butterflies flew in me, my body was frozen. Before I could respond properly, he broke away from me again. But with one hand, I was able to retract a strand of hair.

"And still insecure?" I looked at him perplexed. After so much romance, he had ruined everything with the tone of his voice and pulled me out of my bubble. Unfortunately, however, my mouth was faster than my mind and I denied his question. But I didn't realize what I was getting into, I was still foggy with Max.

To celebrate his triumph, he bowed again, but this time I answered his kiss. This seemed to give him some encouragement, as the kiss was a little firmer than the one before. But he didn't last long either, because we didn't want to overdo it.

Max leaned back on the tree, but kept his hand on mine: "How about a proper date after qualifying?" Since I felt safe from photographers in Bahrain, there were more things that were not allowed to be photographed here than places that were allowed, I agreed.

"Then I have something to look forward to for the next two hours. I would love to stay here, but my team will probably miss me and my family. I pick you up at 9o, what room number do you have?" I quickly answered him. He then pressed a kiss on my cheek and disappeared again.

Only now I could really think again, which is why I closed my eyes and thought: If only this goes well. But Max was right, I'm more than just talented, my boss knows that too.